Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

need help....puberty

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son Isaac was diagnosed with severe autism at the age of 2......since then hes made miraculous progress. His 12th birthday is coming up May 1st and for the past 6 months hes been going thru puberty and has been acting very different. When something is not working such as dvd or remote.....he will get whatever is closest and throw it to the ground....pretty much shattering it. I dont know how..... its hard to decipline him cause i feel in my heart he is not to blame due to his disability....but then agsin he must learn actions have consequences. anyone going or gone thru the same thing please reach out cause im seriously stressed and out of options. noone to really tslk to who can relate to my situstion. thank you.

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shell3m
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Dean acts like this and he's 7, we are trying to show him better ways to express his agitation.  Good luck!!  you keep me posted and I'll keep you posted ok?  We'll throw idea back and forth and see what works. :)

nicksmom217
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

i am sorry , it is very hard time. your instinct is right about not really being there fault. my son is 13, he has HFA, going trough puberty, it is very hard time for kids with so many changes inside, but to get autism on top of it, makes it a mass. when my son is argumentative, i do not engage, i let him cool  off, then we talk about it. for my son action figures is his life, so i do take them away, when is something seriously wrong he is doing and reward with it to. when he is doing something that is hard for him, i praise him, it gives him confidence, that he can do it. we talk a lot about his behavior, only when he is in the good mood. social skills group can help to. it is very hard time for our kids, but i think with patents and a lot of love, understanding, this will pass to. wish you luck

jonib3710
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

wOW THANK YOU SO VERY VERY VERY MUCH.....isaac mostly still repeats so having a two way  conversation is next to impossible but i know he understands  exactly what we are saying. Isaacs things are his disney cartoon , action figures, remotes to his dvd and t.v....when one of those is not working he looses it. he cries with so much heart like it just crushed him and i hate it. but im learning to be strong cause i cant always baby him.....i never thought twice about him and puberty....i guess i always though hed be the same.....why did  i not know better i could have prevented this by knowing and reaching out to great people like you guys ......im so thankful....your advice will help. is your son on any medication or special diet......have you ever taken him around horses

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM

my sons DR told me to expect more disipline issues and him acting even more diff now that my son is 12- and he wasnt kidding

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM

if you have the space have you thought about putting a punching bag in say the garage. and when he is angry or frustrated to go there to take it out on the bag

jonib3710
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

so if you dont mind may i ask how he acts out? is your son stronger thaN HERCULES......cause my son Isaac is dangerously strong ....he tends to dash off and is hard to hold back....im 5'2 115 ilbs and im not strong at all but for some reason im the only one who can hold him.....i love him soooooo much its my fear of what he may do that gives me the strength to compete with his. im working on getting him seen by a behavioralist but these people want me to wait six months!!!!!! Hes alreADY bruised my moms arm but she is kinda mean to him and favors my oldest son.....i hate it so much and i think hes starting to notice thAT and if feeling the emotion of confusion and insecurity. hed never hurt me i treat my sons the same.....plus i know and understand Isaac better than antone we have a very tight bond. i just wannas help him and im so glad im not alone

jonib3710
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM

that is a very good idea.....great advice and thank you sooo much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN