Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

question on genetic/DNA testing

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
My sons neurologist wants him to have a chromosome micro array and something that starts with a k i believe but I've misplaced my paper. a.week and 5 days later received a denial letter from the insurance company because the reason that was given for the testing was developmentally delayed, (they also had his.age 1 yr over). Anyone else have a problem getting their insurance to cover this? Also the neurologist mentioned fragile x syndrome as part of the testing but i said my son doesn't have the physical characteristics,.he said that some kids don't have any until puberty. Anyone have any experiences to share with this type of testing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
marisab
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

i had to have all those tests my insurance covered them all but ended up being williams syndrome not fragile x

Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM
We haven't done genetic testing, but I can tell you that when my insurance saw "developmental delay" instead of PDD, they are refusing to help cover speech. Don't ask me WHY dev delay is listed as his "dx" instead of ASD...

Grrrrrr..... Yeah- they usually don't give you anything for developmental delay because they "figure" it's a delay and therefore the child will catch up.

So stupid- almost all developmental delays end up turning out to be some kind of disorder.

Damn insurance companies! Like we would really request genetic testing if we didn't feel it was necessary! Yeah, sure, sign us up for genetic testing because it'll be a barrel of laughs!

Makes me so mad!

Hope you get it sorted out.
Kitten1555
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM
oh wow,.you or your little boy?

Quoting marisab:

i had to have all those tests my insurance covered them all but ended up being williams syndrome not fragile x

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitten1555
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I guess the genetic counselor is supposed to sort it out but I'm worried i will be waiting 3 months till we see him again for a diagnosis, his therapist says he has PDD, and i said with adhd? And she said that comes with it.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

We haven't done genetic testing, but I can tell you that when my insurance saw "developmental delay" instead of PDD, they are refusing to help cover speech. Don't ask me WHY dev delay is listed as his "dx" instead of ASD...

Grrrrrr..... Yeah- they usually don't give you anything for developmental delay because they "figure" it's a delay and therefore the child will catch up.

So stupid- almost all developmental delays end up turning out to be some kind of disorder.

Damn insurance companies! Like we would really request genetic testing if we didn't feel it was necessary! Yeah, sure, sign us up for genetic testing because it'll be a barrel of laughs!

Makes me so mad!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

She said ADHD comes with PDD??? Not necessarily, right?

Quoting Kitten1555:

I guess the genetic counselor is supposed to sort it out but I'm worried i will be waiting 3 months till we see him again for a diagnosis, his therapist says he has PDD, and i said with adhd? And she said that comes with it.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Makes me so mad!

culinaryqueen
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My son had the Fragile X test at the age of three and our insurance covered it along with the MRI and the EEG

Kitten1555
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM
That's what i was thinking lol!

Quoting Leobaby2007:

She said ADHD comes with PDD??? Not necessarily, right?

Quoting Kitten1555:

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Makes me so mad!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN