Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Mom on a Mission! Please Help!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am pleading with all mom's out there dealing with a dx on the Autism spectrum to help me in my research and investigation. I kindly ask of you to tell me did you get induced while in labor, was it difficult, were there pain relievers used?? How long was the pushing? Vaginal or Csection?

During pregnancy: Any alcohol, drug use? Any vaccines for maternal while pregnant with child? Any perscriptions taken? Any maternal illness?

**was your baby fussy from the get go?? Colicky? Gas issues?

**Noticable changes after vaccines? IF so, what month?

**Any environmental happenings in your area? Ie. spills, flood etc?

**When did you notice something wasn't quite right?

**What were those indicators that something wasn't quite right??

**Medicines used and illnesses during  you child's first year??

These are my starting points! I hope you Mom's can help me in getting some answers! Please, I am begging you!

Thanks

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southwind720
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I have two children with possible aspergers syndrome. I have a middle child who is "normal". All of my pregnancies were drama free, medication free & no changes to our environment. Basically identical pregnancies. My middle child was very cholicky (sp) and my oldest & youngest were fine.

I never noticed anything after any vaccinations, their behaviors did not start showing up until they started school.

Sometimes the cause is never known & we have to accept what God has given us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kellylynn1241
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Hi thanks for your respone! And I am glad your pregnancies went well and you have three amazing children! I love your enthusiam and outlook, however in my case my son was meeting all milestones on time or early and suddenly regressed into someone who had over 400 words in his vocab to someone who maybe has 10.. You can't possibly tell me that is normal. I appreciate you, but I have my gut feelings on this. I am not trying to  blame any one cause but I would like to get answers. I think God will use me in doing so... I accept His purpose and I embrace that, but I will not embrace autism.

Kellylynn1241
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Also my understanding of Aspergers is to be that of higher functioning.. one in which you would never see a speech delay.. I am hoping to get in touch with mom's who have dealt with regression who were meeting all milestones on time or even early for that matter and then things suddenly changed and now you're dealing with a newborn so to speak all over again... This is my hope and desire! Thank you

Kellylynn1241
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Check out my last reply to you in my previous post under' getting to the bottom of this' I added a reply over there... I saw  slight/mild regression around 19months... now 29 months and its severe... No doctor listened to me... When there were very clear warning signs at age 2. Research childhood disintegrative disorder.. See if it is something that fits your profile for your son.. Similar to Retts but happens to boys... Yes i do believe our chances go up to 1 in 18 if we have one child with a dx... Keep the faith- and call early intervention as soon as possible especially since there are some warning signs.. Better to get help early on...

If you could tell me your story in what occured for all of your children I would love to hear. I'm really trying to research things... Call me a fanatic but I want to make a change...

YzmaRocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM
No induction, med free vaginal delivery. Pushed for about 25 minutes.

No alcohol or drug use at all. No vaccines or mental illness. I took Zofran for extreme nausea (hyperemesis gravidarum) and an antibiotic for a week due to a kidney infection.

Very fussy, started day 2. An extremely difficult baby and 'colicky' but it never ended and went into toddlerhood.

No vaccines. Just the vitamin k shot.

Our apartment flooded when he was 8 weeks old. We had to move immediately.

About 20 months I noticed he was a little behind his peers. He was extremely smart though and I ignored it for a very long time. He knew the entire alphabet by 17 months and the sounds at 21 months.

Communication problems, behavioral issues, started falling way behind in motor skills.

Tylenol when he had the flu (possibly swine flu but not confirmed) @ 11 months. He gets sick when really stressed.

I know it is hard to go through. My son was diagnosed this past January. I went through all the emotions - anger, grief, fear for his future, guilt. It isn't easy but it is better now. I have him on a special diet, which has helped. I also am working on getting him much needed therapy.

God bless! I hope you find answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM
6 moms liked this

Not to be rude, but anecdotal evidence from anonymous people online isn't research. Research requires control groups, multiple participants from varying backgrounds, and people to verify the accuracy of statements. We, as parents and advocates, need to move away from an obsession on finding the cause and "cures" for autism and focus on helping our children be the best that they can be.

fourkidsinnc
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

i have 4 kidsonly the youngest is hfa ,the first wasgiven petosin because the labor was so long also a epidural,the second and third were natural with no pain killer,the 4 i had a epidural he was extremly jaundice,he did alot of things a little slower than my girls but i was always told that boys develope slower,the only differance between him and my other three children was that we had a bad spot and had no money we got behind on his shots so i went to a free clinic were the nurse pumped him full of 6 shots at the same time,after he got sick with a high fever,the dr said it was just a virus,but he was just differant after that,although i dont think that was the sole cause i also belive that it may have been a trigger,i think genetics also play a part,and to answer the rest of your questions i dont drink or do drugs,but the older he got the wider the gap between him and other kids his age got

steph2884
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM
I never went into labor with my son. I went to the hospital at 41.5 weeks to be induced and they couldn't find his heartbeat. The doctor came in with what seemed like 20 other people and they broke my water and put an internal monitor on his head and his heart rate was in the 70s. I then had people all over me, putting a mask on my face, poking my am various times to get blood and an IV line, rolling me over, making me get on all fours... Then talking about putting me to sleep, but I had recently ate since I had just arrived. I had a spinal to numb me from the chest down. While I was being cut open they had enough time to put an ID bracelet on me. He was born without a cry. His first APGAR was a 4 out of 10. He recovered after that. Doctor couldn't find out what happened to him, but he was obviously losing oxygen. So after all that, he couldn't properly breast feed because his tongue was tied. I had to use a nipple shield for 16 months because his stupid doctor wouldnt listen to me. He was pretty irritable, and didn't sleep more than 8 broken hours every 24 hours. Again, the doctor didn't listen to me. He had very bad eczema on his face. After 6 months he started to sleep more like a typical child. He hit all his milestones on time until 12 months. He gagged on food and never started babbling. He also lost his desire to be around anyone. Speech therapy started at 15 months, and more typical signs of autism were very obvious by his second birthday. Eight months after his second birthday, he was diagnosed. My pregnancy was uneventful after a few weeks of bleeding. They never could figure out why I bled so much for so long and still remained pregnant. The bleeding started at 7 weeks. No drugs or medications during pregnancy. My son did just fine with his vaccinations. I know my son was born with autism, and nothing I did and nothing that was given to him after birth gave it to him. There is also the matter of his traumatic birth... The lack of oxygen for so long could have done damage to his brain, but who knows? And I live in the middle of the desert, there is no such thing as a flood here!
Kellylynn1241
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Quoting aviatioNation:

Not to be rude, but anecdotal evidence from anonymous people online isn't research. Research requires control groups, multiple participants from varying backgrounds, and people to verify the accuracy of statements. We, as parents and advocates, need to move away from an obsession on finding the cause and "cures" for autism and focus on helping our children be the best that they can be.

I appreciate you taking the time to post on this, however, I am not professing to be a medical doctor, scientist, or professor conducting a clinical lab study. I am simply a mom looking for answers. Research is collecting of data... I am simply doing this for my own understanding of things. If you don't feel that is useful dont bother commenting!! I am not obsessing over this and I can assure you my focus is on my son and doing everything in my possibility to make life for him as wonderful as possible.. I'm not hoping to cure him. I'm hoping to help him and I've chosen to look further into things, that's my choice and I think my son would be quite proud of me for doing such a thing.. So thank you again for making me aware of this- but somethings are better left unsaid.

marisab
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

did you get induced while in labor, was it difficult, were there pain relievers used??all my births were at least some what induced and i had an epidural for 3

How long was the pushing? Vaginal or Csection?veronica the pushing was no more then 20 minutes and vaginal

johny was 3 hours pusshing and vaginal

wolfie was no more then 15 min pushing and vaginal

alyssa was 20 min max pushing and vaginal

mikeal was 1 1/2 pushing and vaginal

During pregnancy: Any alcohol, drug use? no alcohol or drug use except an occasional glass of wine dr said was good for milk production

Any vaccines for maternal while pregnant with child? no

Any perscriptions taken?  just vitmain and antibiotics for bladder infections

Any maternal illness?just a cold

**was your baby fussy from the get go?? Colicky? Gas issues?all the boys were colicky fussy and alotta gas the girls not soo much

**Noticable changes after vaccines? IF so, what month?only one has autism and its genetic and had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with vaccines and he still gets them

**Any environmental happenings in your area? Ie. spills, flood etc?no

**When did you notice something wasn't quite right?when he started to crawel he didnt crawel like a normal baby he craweled on his back like a crab

**What were those indicators that something wasn't quite right??see above plus decrease in new words after a year and a half and didnt walk til 3

**Medicines used and illnesses during  you child's first year??johny was healthy excep for a cold and acid reflux he had xantac

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)