Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: YzmaRocks

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 19 Replies

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom, YzmaRocks, frequents the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum and Babies groups.

1. How did you first find out your child was on the autism spectrum? 

I knew he was behind in some areas so I decided to bring him into his pediatrician to see about doing speech therapy. I had been hoping he would outgrow some of the problems we were having but at 3.5 the problems were only getting worse. I was talking to someone before his appointment and she asked if I had ever had him evaluated for autism. I said no and I thought it was ridiculous that she even suggested it. But I decided to look into it, for my own peace of mind. As soon as I started reading about autism I realized that it explained all the issues that we had been having with him. I brought it up to his pedi who referred him to be evaluated. I knew before the results came back that he was autistic though - it was really obvious once I knew what to look for and what autism was. He was officially diagnosed this past January.

2. What has been the most challenging part of the journey? And the most rewarding?

There are many challenges. One challenge is the process to get a diagnosis. I had no idea how much time everything would take!! His behaviors are also quite challenging. We have had some near misses because he doesn't understand that he needs to stay by me when we go places. Screaming when he becomes overwhelmed in a store or out in public is also very challenging and stressful. I wish people would understand that it isn't because he is being a brat or a spoiled child but that he can't always handle being with people.

The most rewarding moment so far was when my son wrapped his arms around me and told me he loved me. Priceless!! He has only done it once but it made all the struggles worth it.

3. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom?

Autism awareness group and the Babies group. I love both!

4. What do you like most about CafeMom?

The support of like-minded moms and the learning opportunities. I have learned so much here and have met some amazing moms.

5. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.)

I enjoy baking, reading (on occasion, not much time these days), being a part of the MOPS steering team, and hanging out with family and friends.

6. What are your favorites:
Book: Tie between "War and Peace" and "Pride and Prejudice"
Movie: "Return to Me" and "Yours, Mine, and Ours" (1968 version, of course)
Song: I like many, don't really have a favorite
Food: Chocolate, duh. That's a rhetorical question, right?
Place to travel to: My in-laws house :)

7. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why?

Thinking...thinking...not coming up with a single name. I don't pay attention to celebrities for the most part.

8. If you could give a mom whose child is facing a possible autism diagnosis one bit of advice, what would it be?

Remember that your child is still the child you love and adore, no matter what diagnosis s/he may have.

9. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up?

Happy

10. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

A stay at home mom :)

11. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?

I have no idea! I like being me.

Now answer her question for YOU:

The most important question in life: Do you put your toilet paper roll with the end in the front or the back?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

great interview! 

it has to be on the front lol....

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM
LOL, mine is never on the holder so I can't say. Ever since we had kids its always up on a shelf. Learned from Wesley's constant need to unravel the roll all over the place. I love chocolate its the best!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christa4924
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Yes, definitely on the front!

momtoscott
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Ours isn't on the holder because the cat tries to run away with it then.  Nice interview!

Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Lol! Love the interview and question!

My toilet paper goes on the roll whichever way I pick it up and I happened to put it on that way!!!

Too funny! :-)
greenmommo
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM
You are so pretty! Great interview.

Front. I cleaned hotel rooms as a kid. These rules I've learned in my jobs STICK with me. I would come unglued if the roll was in backwards (Got to love us Aspies!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Mine is up on the shelf too due to my 2 year old. He loves to play with the paper and the toilet water, yuck. So we keep it up. But we did actually discuss it before we got married, lol.

Quoting myfirstborn04:

LOL, mine is never on the holder so I can't say. Ever since we had kids its always up on a shelf. Learned from Wesley's constant need to unravel the roll all over the place. I love chocolate its the best!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Thank you!

Quoting greenmommo:

You are so pretty! Great interview.

Front. I cleaned hotel rooms as a kid. These rules I've learned in my jobs STICK with me. I would come unglued if the roll was in backwards (Got to love us Aspies!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kickinit
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Front...and it irks me and I have to change it when its not..nice interview and nice to see a face to put with the words.  God bless

whitepaw7
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

that version of 'your mine and ours' is one of my favorites too. And of course chocolate!!
enjoyed your interview very much!
as far as the toliet paper roll, with 7 kids it's usually empty and never makes it to  the holder, previously have had ones who like to unroll it around the house too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN