Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: YzmaRocks
CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.
1. How did you first find out your child was on the autism spectrum?
I knew he was behind in some areas so I decided to bring him into his pediatrician to see about doing speech therapy. I had been hoping he would outgrow some of the problems we were having but at 3.5 the problems were only getting worse. I was talking to someone before his appointment and she asked if I had ever had him evaluated for autism. I said no and I thought it was ridiculous that she even suggested it. But I decided to look into it, for my own peace of mind. As soon as I started reading about autism I realized that it explained all the issues that we had been having with him. I brought it up to his pedi who referred him to be evaluated. I knew before the results came back that he was autistic though - it was really obvious once I knew what to look for and what autism was. He was officially diagnosed this past January.
2. What has been the most challenging part of the journey? And the most rewarding?
There are many challenges. One challenge is the process to get a diagnosis. I had no idea how much time everything would take!! His behaviors are also quite challenging. We have had some near misses because he doesn't understand that he needs to stay by me when we go places. Screaming when he becomes overwhelmed in a store or out in public is also very challenging and stressful. I wish people would understand that it isn't because he is being a brat or a spoiled child but that he can't always handle being with people.
The most rewarding moment so far was when my son wrapped his arms around me and told me he loved me. Priceless!! He has only done it once but it made all the struggles worth it.
3. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom?
Autism awareness group and the Babies group. I love both!
4. What do you like most about CafeMom?
The support of like-minded moms and the learning opportunities. I have learned so much here and have met some amazing moms.
5. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.)
I enjoy baking, reading (on occasion, not much time these days), being a part of the MOPS steering team, and hanging out with family and friends.
6. What are your favorites:
Book: Tie between "War and Peace" and "Pride and Prejudice"
Movie: "Return to Me" and "Yours, Mine, and Ours" (1968 version, of course)
Song: I like many, don't really have a favorite
Food: Chocolate, duh. That's a rhetorical question, right?
Place to travel to: My in-laws house :)
7. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why?
Thinking...thinking...not coming up with a single name. I don't pay attention to celebrities for the most part.
8. If you could give a mom whose child is facing a possible autism diagnosis one bit of advice, what would it be?
Remember that your child is still the child you love and adore, no matter what diagnosis s/he may have.
9. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up?
10. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?
A stay at home mom :)
11. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?
I have no idea! I like being me.
Now answer her question for YOU:
The most important question in life: Do you put your toilet paper roll with the end in the front or the back?