Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Say it Ain't So----Do Lucky Charms cause Autism?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM
  • 96 Replies

This was on the Stir today.  The thing I don't like about this article is it doesn't state how they came up with the statements, so you know me I googled it. I finally found the article and they just want to study the possible  link between HFCS and autism.  IT HAS NOT BEEN LINKED YET.  All they have done is studied HFCS.  In the HFCS findings, they basically admit it is something we shouldn't eat-- that is scary.   While there are no hard facts on it causing autism, I really won't be surprised if it did. I think it will turn out to be the preservatives we eat or the plastics or something similar corrupting our genes.

I posted the Stir article and the "real" article so you can make up your own mind about it. 

Basically the real article's slant is High Fructose Corn Syrup is the DEVIL and they want to study the effects of it on pregnant women!  They have not done it yet.

Did you eat HFCS when you were pregnent?  I did!

Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising

Posted by Adriana Velez
on April 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

junkfoodWhen we heard about the link between maternal obesity and autism, we thought it made sense, sad as that discovery is. After all, obesity during pregnancy is linked to other risk factors for infants. So it's not surprising that our typical diet of highly processed food is also linked with autism.

The problem here isn't so much with what processed food puts into our bodies -- it's what it keeps our bodies from eliminating. High frutcose corn syrup can cause mineral deficiencies, which in turn can prevent our bodies for getting rid of toxic chemicals in our systems.

Processed food leading to autism is a very complex chain of events, as researcher David Wallinga explains. "If you've got enough calcium in your diet, it's going to protect you from absorbing lead, and concurrently, if you are calcium-deficient, then you're going to absorb more lead in your gut, and therefore have more lead in your bloodstream." Toxins in the environment also play a role here. The researchers recommend a diet high in antioxidants and necessary minerals for pregnant women.

It's one thing to think about the harm processed foods do to our own bodies and weigh whether or not we want to take the risk. But when our eating habits can effect our unborn children -- what then?

I guess it shouldn't be too shocking that HFCS and other processed foods are (GASP!) bad for us and for our babies. But learning exactly why they're harmful is surprising. Now we know -- if you're expecting, it would be sad to cancel out all the good of those helpful prenatal vitamin supplements with junk food snacks.

Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you?

Study links autism with industrial food, environment

New research models real-world exposures to environmental cause of autism

By Katie Rojas-Jahn   Renee Dufault, FIHRI
Published April 11, 2012

Used under creative commons license from bbaltimore.

The study explores how mineral deficiencies-affected by dietary factors like high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)-could impact how the human body rids itself of common toxic chemicals like mercury and pesticides.

Minneapolis - The epidemic of autism in children in the United States may be linked to the typical American diet according to a new study published online in Clinical Epigeneticsby Renee Dufault, et. al. The study explores how mineral deficiencies-affected by dietary factors like high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)-could impact how the human body rids itself of common toxic chemicals like mercury and pesticides.

The release comes on the heels of a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)that estimates the average rate of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) among eight year olds is now 1 in 88, representing a 78 percent increase between 2002 and 2008. Among boys, the rate is nearly five times the prevalence found in girls.

"To better address the explosion of autism, it's critical we consider how unhealthy diets interfere with the body's ability to eliminate toxic chemicals, and ultimately our risk for developing long-term health problems like autism." said Dr. David Wallinga, a study co-author and physician at the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP).

Commander (ret.) Renee Dufault (U.S. Public Health Service), the study's lead author and a former Food and Drug Administration (FDA) toxicologist, developed an innovative scientific approach to describe the subtle side effects of HFCS consumption and other dietary factors on the human body and how they relate to chronic disorders. The model, called "macroepigenetics," allows researchers to consider how factors of nutrition, environment and genetic makeup interact and contribute to the eventual development of a particular health outcome.

"With autism rates skyrocketing, our public educational system is under extreme stress," said Dufault, who is also a licensed special education teacher and founder of the Food Ingredient and Health Research Institute (FIHRI). As part of the current study, the authors found a 91 percent increase in the number of children with autism receiving special educational services in the U.S. between 2005 and 2010.

Key Findings:

• Autism and related disorders affect brain development. The current study sought to determine how environmental and dietary factors, like HFCS consumption, might combine to contribute to the disorder.
  • Consumption of HFCS, for example, is linked to the dietary loss of zinc, which interferes with the elimination of heavy metals from the body. Many heavy metals like mercury, arsenic and cadmium are potent toxins with adverse effects on brain development in the young.
  • HFCS consumption can also impact levels of other beneficial minerals, including calcium. Loss of calcium further exacerbates the detrimental effects of exposure to lead on brain development in fetuses and children.
  • Inadequate levels of calcium in the body can also impair its ability to expel organophosphates, a class of pesticides long recognized by the EPA and independent scientists as especially toxic to the young developing brain.

"Rather than being independent sources of risk, factors like nutrition and exposure to toxic chemicals are cumulative and synergistic in their potential to disrupt normal development," said Dr. Richard Deth, a professor of Pharmacology at Northeastern University and a co-author of the study. "These epigenetic effects can also be transmitted across generations. As autism rates continue to climb it is imperative to incorporate this new epigenetic perspective into prevention, diagnosis and treatment strategies."

The picture of how and why a child develops autism is a complicated one influenced by many different factors. The authors of this study have given insight into the complex interplay between several of the factors that may lead to the development of this debilitating neurodevelopmental disorder. In order to curb the epidemic of autism in the U. S., continued analysis of the impact of the industrialized food system and exposure to environmental toxins on ASD must be key areas of research moving forward.

The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy works locally and globally at the intersection of policy and practice to ensure fair and sustainable food, farm and trade systems.

The Food Ingredient and Health Research Institute (FIHRI) is a non-profit organization devoted entirely to food ingredient safety, education, and research.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Wow,  when I was pregnant with my son I craved Fruit Loops.  Couldn't get enough will be interesting to see how this one plays out!  :)

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM
3 moms liked this
How irresponsible of CM. I understand being on the anti-HFCS bandwagon, but another to give false information. It even mischaracterizes the obesity study.

Me-Mike & Ikes. And Braums ice cream.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Wow... Bump for later reading..
(& yes, I ate it too..)

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't like cereals that much, so I didn't (plus when I got gestational diabetes, I had to be very careful about my diet).  However, HCFS is in lots of stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had consumed a lot of it.  I am floored, however, by a proposed study being hyped in this way, and I'm sure that a bunch of people who aren't paying close attention will hear about this and assume it's been done and there's a connection.  

I am very anti HCFS, however.  I think it's contributing to a bunch of health problems for us and our kids. 

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM

well i cant say for sure if HFCS was associated with my SD's mom's pregnancy but I can tell you that some of things in those cereals and other like foods(mainly red dye 40) trigger some of selena's worst meltdowns and behaviors. she really has some hard days when she eats things like this - as little as 2 hours after ingesting them she visibly has a hard time keeping things together. I also have periods of this after I digest some of these products. We try to keep our diet free of these products and try to stick to more natural alternatives. 

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this
You know something, I think the Mashed Potato bowls from KFC causes autism too. It has to! I craved and ate that just about everyday when I was pregnant and now my kids have autism. Its the only explanation!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm pretty sure almost all of us had HFCS during pregnancy. It's very hard to have a complete diet without it being somewhere unless you are vegan.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Autism Awareness Months has brought all the studies (junk and sound) from the wood works. I think this confuses parents even more. Would be good to have some sound research done over a course of at least 15 yrs to really study autism and its causes. Every other day is a new cause this month. smh...

Follow me on twitter @AutisticSeas

by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I had a sour patch kids and milkshake craving. I also craved cut up veggies with ranch dip. I didn't buy organic then either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I have mostly eliminated it from our diet, but we are mostly vegan. If you check ingredients it's in almost everything, along with a lot if artificial dyes & preservatives. I've gone to making a lot of our products. Even
salad dressing.

If you eat out, though, all bets are off. :/

Quoting VintageWife:

I'm pretty sure almost all of us had HFCS during pregnancy. It's very hard to have a complete diet without it being somewhere unless you are vegan.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)