Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you like most about Autism Awareness Month? What don't you like?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Like: That there is an overall awareness with those who do not live with it. I mean for us we live it every day so we are always aware. But to have it in the national conversation is a good thing. I hope this can continue past April.

Don't Like: The blame game. Every other day is a new study with a new cause for Autism. Most of it not making sense and making parents feel worse than they already do.

Follow me on twitter: @AutisticSeas

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Don't like: parents of non/autistic kids telling us parents how we need to handle our kids. The comments about how "it's not cancer." No it's not-the point of raising awareness isnt to diminish awareness/fundraising for other issues. The "it's the new ADHD diagnosis/docs are handing these out like candy." No, it's not/no they are not.

A lot of the points about awareness seem to hit brick walls. I would just like more acceptance and inclusion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheabudda
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I agree with you.  They have no idea what our lives are like as we try our best to raise our children despite everything we have to deal with.

Follow me on twitter: @AutisticSeas

ROGUEM
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I like that it raises awareness on many levels.  A couple of years ago, many people had no idea what autism was.  I think they saw autism = Rain-man.  Now most people have a working knowledge about it.  They at least know and understand the term.

The problem is when you get everyone talking about a topic, you can get alot of weird or thoughtless comments.  Most people know enough to be dangerous!  I think some of the posts and comments have upset and angered some of our members. 

So Yay that it is a hot topic and people are interested, but a BIG sigh on the fact that they have hurtful and opinionated comments based on no personal experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)