Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 54 Replies

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by Holly on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Aww that is so cute!!! Dezmond likes shiny metal. Like metal fences or cars. he puts his face all up in it and just stares at it. I try to avoid it and walk around it just because it's annoying and it takes forever to walk down the street. Lol
Kittie26
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That is really cute! I actually bought those "taggies" toys for Aly when she was a baby and she never used them, so no tag rubbing here. I don't think she really has any unique stims, but I'll think about it and let you know if I come up with anything.

VintageWife
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM

So cute! Have you asked him about a tag blanket for sleep time? I couldn't sleep like that...lol...my arm would go dead (numb) from sleeping on it.

McMomma3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
The strangest is that he's addicted to small objects, he always has a small toy in his hand. Often steals small shiny objects do I call him my raccoon.unfortunately this often means expensive jewelry. He also rocks back and fourth in the bathtub, flooding the floor. He still sucks his thumb and carries his blankie everywhere. He's almost 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting VintageWife:

So cute! Have you asked him about a tag blanket for sleep time? I couldn't sleep like that...lol...my arm would go dead (numb) from sleeping on it.

Yes, I showed him one of those blankets and he thought it was the coolest thing ever. He told me to make him one so I might do that or just order one. He does not hold the tag all night long, just to fall asleep. He moves around too much to hold it all night, lol.

3lilmonsters88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I bet he would love a tag blanket. Braedyn loves the silk on his blanket. He does the same thing your DS does with the tags.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Aww that's cute! I don't think my son has any odd stims..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonsters88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

I bet he would love a tag blanket. Braedyn loves the silk on his blanket. He does the same thing your DS does with the tags

Yep, I wish I had known about them when he was younger. He is 6 now, but I think I will get him one.

Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

My sons thumb is his meltdown preventor works most of the times pops it in his mouth then walks or looks away!  Maybe us adults should try these things sometimes!

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN