Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (51-54):
binz322
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has been a hair twirler since a few months old and he also has a big stim of clenching his fists and shaking his body. He holds his breath while doing it. It's what prompted us to get him evaluated. He also lines and organizes things.

April_Mommy_87
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son likes to carry his brush he has for his sensory issues....

CollinMommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is just opposite, if it has a tag, he will cry and cry until I cut it off. Sometimes even after I cut it off, if he can feel any part of it left, may as well throw the shirt away because he will not wear it!! But these pics are sooo cute!!! 

Dora-rulz
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Pics are so cute. Sorry I don't have any to share. Dds stims are typical (if you can use that word in regard to ASD). She throws things in the air just to watch them fall-when having a meltdown it turns to throwing things at walls (hard). Dd is mesmerized by spinning objects & jumping on things. Her most unique stim is putting her nose up to screens (tv, iPhone, iPad...) when watching cartoons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)