Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Zachysmommy808
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My son Zachary chews on his shirt collar. I bought him some "chewlery" and it somewhat helps, but he always goes back to his shirt! He also likes any little piece of fabric, feather , or piece of "fluff" he can find! Great idea about the ribbon!

3lilmonsters88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I agree. People are so quick to judge that its not even funny.

Quoting Alma4Mom:

My sons thumb is his meltdown preventor works most of the times pops it in his mouth then walks or looks away!  Maybe us adults should try these things sometimes!

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

No Odd Stims here just the basic ones but super duper adorable pics thanks for sharing!

southwind720
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM
My son tosses things in the air. No matter what he's holding, he tosses it and catches it. It doesn't matter if we are in the store, the car, school, etc. he always has to toss things. It's weird because he doesn't really know that he is doing it. When I ask him why he does it, he says he doesn't know. The only time it bothers me is when I am driving & I see things constantly popping up in my rear view mirror.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting Zachysmommy808:

My son Zachary chews on his shirt collar. I bought him some "chewlery" and it somewhat helps, but he always goes back to his shirt! He also likes any little piece of fabric, feather , or piece of "fluff" he can find! Great idea about the ribbon!

Jordan chews on his shirts, too. When he wears his hoodies he chews the whole sleeve!

jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Quoting southwind720:

My son tosses things in the air. No matter what he's holding, he tosses it and catches it. It doesn't matter if we are in the store, the car, school, etc. he always has to toss things. It's weird because he doesn't really know that he is doing it. When I ask him why he does it, he says he doesn't know. The only time it bothers me is when I am driving & I see things constantly popping up in my rear view mirror.

That's cute! 

YzmaRocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM
His hair. He has twirled it since he was able to get his hand to his head. We call it his security blanket, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Om, never thought of that as a stim before. My 22 month old son is waiting to be diagnosed and he does that with tags. Not to the extent your son does though. My DD hates tags. I hate tags.

Weird stims-I'm still learning what they are. I mean, I know what they are. Just never fit the behavior into that category. I scratch my head. Not like flea scratching, but put my hand at the base of my skull & scratch. During law school studying, I would scratch until I bled. Gross I know.

My DD-all of hers seem the typical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
My DS also chews on his blanket. If he doesn't have it, he will start shaking from frustration.

Quoting Zachysmommy808:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Siobhan69
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The one thing my son Odin does is pick the skin off of his fingers, seems to calm him down but his poor little fingers are sore looking at times. He is 4 and also still uses the pacifier, we try to limit it just for going to bed but sometimes at family events he has had enough and needs to relax with it. My mother in law comments every time he has it and calls my poor son a baby to his face. I asked her not to do it but she seems to think it's funny :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)