Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
jeri.arellanes
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Ryan's strongest stim is rocking.  Sorry, no pics.  Don't know how to get them off my phone!  

He also paces a lot.  Most of the time he's sitting, so he rocks.  But, when he gets up he usually paces.  Once in a great while, when he's really excited, he'll hand flap.

He used to like tags on his clothes or stuffed animals!  These photos reminded me of that.  I totally forgot that he used to do that!  lol  Thanks for sharing the pics.

3Dani75
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

lol...my son is the exact opposite, he hates tags. If his clothes have them I have to cut them out. I try to buy his clothes with the printed label in them & no tags. his pillows, blankets, stuffed toys, etc...had to remove all the tags! he loves to hold small toys or writing instruments & flaps his hands.

marisab
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM

johny doesnt but my friends 11 year old who is inprocess of being tested does this ..he loves all tags...johny doesnt have  many stims an dhis are classic --swinging ,rubbing hands to gether and rocking

Crimsonia
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

What is a Pacey?

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.
Sweet_Britt
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

That is soooooo cute. 

My sister used to be obsessed with taggies too. She isn't on the spectrum though, but I remember it was always how I could get the GOOD stuffed animals...if it had a soft taggie, she didn't like it...she liked the crunchy, pokey ones...haha

Sweet_Britt
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

pacifier : )

Quoting Crimsonia:

What is a Pacey?

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.

Crimsonia
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I would sit MIL down and have a really long heart to heart with her and remind her that your son DOES have autism and that the this is something that calms him and makes him feel more secure and why and let her know in no uncertain terms that her name calling behavior is completely unacceptable and if she doesn't like it then that is HER issue, not your son's but that you will NOT tolerate this behavior from her any more... after all SHE is supposed to be the adult... right.... 

Your son will likely end up having to deal with bullying behavior all his life from his peers... that will come soon enough... and you will not be able to control it or protect him from all of it out in the world... but you'll be DAMNED if you allow or tolerate it coming from within the family by people who are SUPPOSED to LOVE him.

Maybe if you can make her realize that name calling IS bullying behavior, it may make an impact on her and get her to stop.

My son wore pull-ups/Good-Nites clear up until he was 8-9 years old and I had my sister come live with us for almost 9 months when Son was about 6-7 years old, and she took issue with my son wearing "diapers" to bed.

At first she bit her tongue, but after about two months staying with us she started in on him every night... he would come to give her a nite nite kiss and hug and she would make some comment to him about being a baby having to wear diapers to bed... after about a week listening to her and giving her dirty glaring looks, in the hope that she would quietly get the point, I finally, in front of my son, went off on my sister and let her know that that would be THE LAST time she treated MY son that way or she would be finding somewhere else to live.

That was before we recognized that Son might have an ASD.... hell at the time we didn't even know what an ASD was.

Quoting Siobhan69:

The one thing my son Odin does is pick the skin off of his fingers, seems to calm him down but his poor little fingers are sore looking at times. He is 4 and also still uses the pacifier, we try to limit it just for going to bed but sometimes at family events he has had enough and needs to relax with it. My mother in law comments every time he has it and calls my poor son a baby to his face. I asked her not to do it but she seems to think it's funny :-(

MommyRJ
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Cute!

Bryley sucks on stuff. It's weird. And sometimes gross.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crimsonia
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

ROFL... OK.... I read it Pace-y... I always spelled it "paci" or called it a "binky". 
My son was terribly attached to his binky... We weaned him from it at 15 months (started trying at 13 months) and it played HELL on us for those 2 months. Day time wasn't as bad, it was bedtime that was the worst.  Had I recognized then what I can see now.... things might have gone differently and been far less traumatic for him and us..

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

pacifier : )

Quoting Crimsonia:

What is a Pacey?

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:
seekingg-d
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I still can't have something silk in my hands without rubbing it between my fingers... and if I can I love to rub it on my cheek.

My DD (6) likes to "soft" things. Anything that is really soft like fleecey blankes she has to rub it on her cheek and say "sooooooffffftttt".

DS hasn't really shown an affinity for anything yet but I almost wish he would because it would be nice for him to have something to help self soothe. He hates stuffed animals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)