Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
Crimsonia
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

You can e-mail them to yourself.... Just like sending a picture message, but instead of texting to a phone number, text it to your e-mail address.... then you can save the pics to your puter from your e-mail... and then you can upload it to here.

Quoting jeri.arellanes:

Ryan's strongest stim is rocking.  Sorry, no pics.  Don't know how to get them off my phone!  

He also paces a lot.  Most of the time he's sitting, so he rocks.  But, when he gets up he usually paces.  Once in a great while, when he's really excited, he'll hand flap.

He used to like tags on his clothes or stuffed animals!  These photos reminded me of that.  I totally forgot that he used to do that!  lol  Thanks for sharing the pics.

3lilmonsters88
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Pacifier

Quoting Crimsonia:

What is a Pacey?

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Also Braedyn is almost 5 and still carries his Pacey around. Usually in his pocket but when he's about to have a meltdown he pops it in. It usually helps. I've gotten the strangest stares in public because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

he rubs his arm and leg on the wall by his bed (im sure my neighbors LOVE us) to go to bed. .. When hes stressed he rubs his face on the wall. .. I have to clean the wall daily!! This has started just a few months ago, when his "mommy blankie" got dirty and the washer at the laundromat got stuck on rinse cycle and wouldnt open. .. .

He even has his blankie back (i made it for him and gave it to him his first xmas, it has a satin trim and he rubs that on his face with one hand and puts the fingers of the other hand in the fold at the corner) and is still doing it and his norm. . .. .

MY least favorite is when he gets overwhelmed by too much noise while in public his high pitched whistle/squeek/throaty sound that can make ones ears bleed. .. .

jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

So Jordan tells me yesterday afternoon that his new teacher of one week has told him to get his hand out his shirt! This should be interesting, his other teachers did not even mention it. I just hope he doesn't start back on the scratching until he bleeds or one of his other self-harming stims since he cannot rub his tags in the new class! Ugh, it will always be something, huh?

PrayerWarrior37
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Marcus carries around this blue blanket just like Linus from Charlie Brown. He loves this blanket. He can't sleep without it unless he's really tired. There is an episode of Charlie Brown where Lucy washes Linus's blanket and he is going crazy waiting for it. Marcus is like that waiting for his blanket. It's actually funny.
JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My son does the potty dance.  Uggh!  He also does this strange thing with his hands that involves moving his fingers just so.

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

AWWW!!!  Mike was a "hair baby".  He would twiddle my hair, and then I got him a doll with hair to twiddle (It drove me nutz).  His doll looked like a treasure troll when he was done.

Now he is a "chewer".  He chews on his shirts, wii controllers, etc. 

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Straighten up that teacher NOW!!!!!  Trust me....your child needs you too so she doesnt undo all the hard work you have done to give an appropriate stim. 

Quoting jordiesmom05:

So Jordan tells me yesterday afternoon that his new teacher of one week has told him to get his hand out his shirt! This should be interesting, his other teachers did not even mention it. I just hope he doesn't start back on the scratching until he bleeds or one of his other self-harming stims since he cannot rub his tags in the new class! Ugh, it will always be something, huh?

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Quoting PrayerWarrior37:

Marcus carries around this blue blanket just like Linus from Charlie Brown. He loves this blanket. He can't sleep without it unless he's really tired. There is an episode of Charlie Brown where Lucy washes Linus's blanket and he is going crazy waiting for it. Marcus is like that waiting for his blanket. It's actually funny.

That's so cute!

jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Straighten up that teacher NOW!!!!!  Trust me....your child needs you too so she doesnt undo all the hard work you have done to give an appropriate stim. 

Quoting jordiesmom05:

Yeah, I am going to have to let her know. I get so tired of explaining so many things to different people. His first day when I dropped him off one of the kids was chewing on his shirt so I felt like Jordan would "fit in."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)