Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What Is Your Kid's Strangest Stims? Pics included

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds has always had a love for tags, or as I learned, it has a name- label rubbing! The boy loves his tags. He sucks on them, rubs them between his fingers, rubs it against his cheek, and falls asleep holding his tag! I have sewn a tag into nearly EVERY shirt he has. He will not wear a shirt if it does not have a good tag. He found some spongebob ribbon at Walmart that he loves the feel of so I use it.

I tried to see if anyone else did this and I only saw one thing about it online. A bunch of people posting about it who realized that it was considered stimming in asd kids. Anyways, there were a lot of adults that still did it. They were grown and married and still did it. Some carried around a piece of ribbon in their pocket. I asked Jordan if I could just give him a piece to put in his pocket and he said no, that he liked his secret hiding place. (They are on the bottom left-hand side inside the shirt.) It is his comfort thing and it does not bother me, but he knows that nobody else does it so I guess he feels he has to hide it.

So do you have to do anything crazy for your kid like sewing tags on shirts or do you they have what you consider a unique stim? I would love to know if their are other kids like him.

Spongebob tag that is in all of his shirts, even pajamas.

Jordan holding his shirt tag!

9 months old and sucking on a tag.

Almost 3 and holding his shirt tag.

This is how he falls asleep, holding the tag.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
momtoscott
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Until about the age of 6 it was my hair.  DS would just sit or stand and play with my hair.  We would be at an evaluation or therapy and he'd be standing behind me, stimming away while the adults were talking or even while he was being asked questions.  My hair was always a total mess. 

knotcr8v
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My son would pick his finger nail beds until they bled until I noticed one day he picked up a stuffed Mickey with a knot for a tail, And started picking at the knot instead. I ran to the fabric store and bought yards of fabric of different textures. I made him rectangles with knots all the way around. He finally settled on fleece. 3 yrs later, he still carries it, he uses it to go to sleep, come down off a tantrum, and anytime he's bored or anxious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM
If you can't get his teacher to comply, would he settle for it sewn on the inside of his shirt very close to the bottom? That way it would just look like is was holding the bottom of his shirt instead if his hand up in it.

Quoting jordiesmom05:

So Jordan tells me yesterday afternoon that his new teacher of one week has told him to get his hand out his shirt! This should be interesting, his other teachers did not even mention it. I just hope he doesn't start back on the scratching until he bleeds or one of his other self-harming stims since he cannot rub his tags in the new class! Ugh, it will always be something, huh?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Wash cloths. DD spends much of her day adjusting the edges of wash cloths. She likes the ones with a rim around the edges best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I've never really observed him doing anything that might be considered stimming. For awhile he was sucking on his lip, but he quit doing that after awhile. Now he does still suck his thumb, but I don't think that can qualify, LOL.

jordiesmom05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

That is where I sew them so I don't see how the teacher has a problem with it. You cannot see the tag, it just looks like he is putting his hand in his shirt.  A lot of shirts already come with tags in the same spot because of all of the tagless shirts. My son hates the tags on his neck.

Today he told me that he rubbed his tag during nap time because he layed far away from the teacher so she could not see him. Poor kid, I am going to go ahead and send a note in Monday and if she has a problem with him doing it then I don't know what to do. He has had so so many meltdowns over the tags and I thought I had finally fixed the problem. He has been doing this since he was a baby so it will be a hard habit to break.

glory_love
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM
My son does a similar thing with his hands, he even pulls his finger back and it doesn't hurt him...he's flexible....

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My son does the potty dance.  Uggh!  He also does this strange thing with his hands that involves moving his fingers just so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrettyIssues
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM
My little guy is a flapper.. And he puts himself to sleep rubing his hair.
His_Sunshyne
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 8 months. . For about a month now she's been loving tags. On her stuffed animal or a blanket she puts it in her mouth or twiddle it with her fingers.. I've just came across the tag blanket. . Not sure if I will purchase it for her yet though. ..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That is very cute!

I think ds has more obsessive behaviors than repetitive behaviors.

He has been obsessed with phones since he turned 2 yrs old, maybe younger.

He sleeps with his phone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN