Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epsom Salt bath to improve sleep

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

Found this on line and was wondering if anyone has tried it for their child and if so does it help at all??

What is the anticipated effect from an Epsom Salt bath?
Epsom Salts have long been used to stimulate detoxification, reduce inflammation to sore muscles, promote healthy circulation, and help with relaxation and normalizing sleep patterns.

Most children respond to an ES bath by appearing happier, more relaxed. Some parents report that their children are more responsive, more "with it". Some parents who give the bath in the evenings report that their children are able to get to sleep easier, and have a more normal sleep pattern.

Given over time, the ES baths may help reduce sensory integration symptoms. Some of this effect may occur due to benefits of detoxification, but it is much more likely to come from direct effects on the nervous system.

But how does this produce neurological improvements?
Detoxification is only a little part of sulfate's job. Most of the body's sulfate is used to form huge molecules that govern chemical traffic at the cell surface. Many of these sulfated molecules find their more enduring home in the area immediately around the cell called the extracellular matrix. [Extracellular = outside the cell] These sulfated molecules function in all cell types. However, in the brain, this type of molecule has a very special role, providing modulation, or something like a volume control. It does this by forming a geometric net outside particular types of neurons.

The sulfate in these molecules is no longer in an ionic form, like you see in epsom salts in the bathtub, but is part of highly organized structures that will attract, bind and regulate many of the ions that are involved in cell signalling before those ions even get to the surface of neurons or to ion channels.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM

epsom salt is supposed to be awesome.

I however, had a reaction to it when I tried taking a bath with it when pregnant. it made my legs itch and I thought I was going to have to go to the ER because I was having an allergic reaction.

my midwife assured me it was not an allergic reaction, but just my skin freaked out and then my brain freaked out. LOL

if your kid has sensory issues, be forewarned it *might* backfire. I was scratching my legs like I thought I was going to die and actually bloodied my legs with scrubbing trying to fix the itching because it freaked me out so bad.

I was fine with in a couple hours and my legs were just fine - but for some reason I had a really, strong sensory reaction to it that I didn't know would happen when I tried to use it.

greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw another post that mentioned it briefly. I could see how this might help. Many years ago my did got me some salt designed for athletes called muscle melt or something close. Really did relax me.

Great idea-I'll try it out on myself & report back I've been having night terrors again and my muscles have been really jumpy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quietsmilie
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I haven't tried this - but a lukewarm bath is very soothing for my son and helps him calm down for sleep on nights that are challenging otherwise.

CandM_Momster
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I've heard that it helps.  I haven't actually used it.  To help my son I use an aromatheraphy bubble bath by California Baby that seems to help relax him along with some chamomile tea.  Though, I have considered trying the epsom salt baths.

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
sounds great but we only have a shower.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)