Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fear of Water?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son does not have a problem taking a bath as long as there is no water in his face. If water gets splashed in his face he starts screaming, crying and tries to get out of the bathtub. We have tried splashing him in the face and wiped it off with a towl imediately to show him that everything is ok. He also likes swimming but only if his head does not go under and his feet touching the bottom. If the water gets to his chin he screams and wants to be held. It takes him like 15 minutes used to being in the pool before he likes it. Anyone else dealing with something like this? What do you do?

My son has a sensory integration disorder and is being evaluated for Aspergers. He is 5 years old almost 6.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I am with my son-22 months awaiting eval. He doesn't scream but he flips out-tries to jump out of the bathtub. I sit right beside it and have a towel in my lap. I've shown him he can wipe his face with it and now he does if even a drop gets on his face but it keeps him in the bathtub.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I meant to add -I haven't figured out the pool yet. Hopefully other mothers have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is the same way. He hates water in his face. Washing his face is a pain, showers only work if he is in control of the sprayer (we have a detachable one on a long hose for him). Swimming was fine, as long as he was in a kiddie pool, with knee deep water, anything more, he had to be held.

He will not play in sprinklers, unless they are stationary, and refuses to get hit with a water gun.

One summer, his teacher tried to instigate water play, having the students wear swim clothes, or clothes that could get wet. No matter the play, even with his peers that he was actually friends with, would he join in.

I am hoping to get him into swim lessons this year, but have to talk to the base pool about it, since I don't think he will do well in a general setting, I need to see if they have a class for special needs.

My son is 8, will be 9 this August.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)