Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anger Management

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son who is in the 1st grade and has autism is having major anger problems at school.  I don't know what is causing this and what to do about it...  help please!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's getting angry at school, there's most likely a reason. over stimulation, they aren't handling him correctly, etc.

I would go and observe for a while and see if you can figure out what his triggers are so you can have the school work with him on meeting his needs both socially and emotionally.

CandM_Momster
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

My first thought is does he feel like he's not being understood?

When my son feels like we're not understanding what he's saying or trying to say, he will go into a flowblown meltdown.

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

yep! my son does too - and at school, he shuts down because if he argues or gets upset, he's been punished enough for his miscommunication issues at school that now he just stops talking :/

IT's a hard balancing act, especially if they don't understand how to "speak" to the child or get them to speak back in a way that there's not total misunderstandings and frustrations on both sides.

Anger generally has a reason - it's frustration or fear, or overstimulation, or sensory problems or... the list could go on and on and on - but there's a reason.

You'll just have to figure out whats tripping his buttons at school, I could also simply be that his teacher and him aren't a good fit too.

Quoting CandM_Momster:

My first thought is does he feel like he's not being understood?

When my son feels like we're not understanding what he's saying or trying to say, he will go into a flowblown meltdown.

Blog writer/author : Outside the box thinking The Quirky Kitty 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)