Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fear of stairs

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

I recently became a step mom to a 14 yr old autistic child, my problem is my home is two stories and he refuses to  come up stairs to his room.  He has been sleeping on the sofa downstairs for a month, please any suggestions.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nicksmom217
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

unfortunately for kids on spectrum is very easy to get fixated on one thing or develop anxiety. my son for a long time, specially at evening time would have anxiety going upstairs. he would ask me to ether take him upstairs or wait, until he would get to his room. we did that for a long time, now he is 13,  the anxiety is over.  i think just give him time to adjust and help him with his anxiety. wish you luck

greenmommo
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM
I heard of ABA therapy/desensitization to the phobia. The idea is gradual exposure to the fear after using calming/relaxation techniques.
For a younger child I've heard of a mom cutting out foot prints and putting them on the stairs & it worked. Maybe because the game of following the footprints worked? Not sure.

Good luck ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mx2mom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Are the stairs open or closed? My son is 10. He does ok on closed stairs as long as they are not too steep. He absolutely HATES open stairs. When we took him to his 1st professional baseball game, he was so good because we were in the nosebleed section, and he was afraid he was going to fall off if he moved. Those stairs are closed but really steep. Leaving the game, he had a meltdown because we had to walk on the sky ramp, and he was scared to death he was going to fall off. My husband and I each had to take an arm and drag him down the sky ramp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)