Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

**DISCLAIMER** Please don't bother reading if you are going to leave any rude, judgemental comments because... I'm just not interested in reading them!

I have a three year old daughter (diagnosed with autism) with severe speech delays, poor articulation and very, very limited sentence length (usually only one word)
This being stated, I shalle begin my post... I don't typically cuss in front of my children, in fact, I *thought* I did a pretty stellar job of shielding them from my vulgarity but...  the other day my daughter was eating dinner and I was hiding behind the couch pillows trying to inhale a candy bar as fast as possible, my lovely daughter RAN over to me and I was TOTALLY busted. So she demanded I share (MINE! MINE! MINE! ) After I told her "no, you need to finish your dinner first!" She ran (alwasy runs...rarely walks) into the hallway, just out of sight and screamed "THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!" I could not believe my little, pig-tailed cutie could scream such a thing! But... hey, it was a three word sentence and she used the BS word in the correct context.  I couldn't help but smile a little... before repriminding her

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
twins0506
by Holly on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I would be mad too if my mom is eating candy and I have to eat nasty peas! Lol jk I don't know what she was eating. That's very cute :)
redheadstar
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Kids learn from other kids,.....

LOL!!about eating a candy bar behind the couch pillows, my 14 year old autistic son looooves to eat, so I usually share a snack with him or just eat in the next room...he can be a bit of a bully of eating more than he can chew...

magickbaby
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Yay for 3 words ! Who the hell cares what they were. She said them and used them well. So obviously you have a true chocolate lover on your hands ! LOL. (((Hugs)))

Thanks for making me smile !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Our last one was "Aunt Jenny called me a ShitHead".  He was mad at my sister, and I am sure my sister was THINKING IT (he was being stubborn....lol), she would never say it.

I asked him later where he heard it and what it meant - he had no idea, just it was bad and at (you guessed it.........................................) school.  :(  So we had the talk about the "7 deadly words we never use" (I just gave it that name....not sure if there are 7 or not..sounded cool at the time) and what the real meaning is (poop  head). 

The best part was the 5 yr old piping up - Mike said shit...what does shit mean?  Mike said shit...shit shit...what does shit mean????? 

Out of the mouths of babes.....:)

I give your daughter an "A" for context.....lol

harmonymax
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

that kind of thing would make me laugh a little .... its good that she was able to express herself correctly .... and as far as swear words go BS isn't that bad. 

ZeeRo
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I remember the first time my then 3yr old AS son swore. My first reaction was, "Well, at least it was in context." My second reaction was to have a chuckle, behind a cushion of course. Third, remind myself to clean up my language (never happened). Fourth, explain to my son that it was a naughty word and not to be used by children (we left that for the next day, we were too busy laughing).

kathrynmlise
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Guess she told you!

saltycoqui
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Oh yeah, I totally recall the time when my kids were little and would not just utter few words but grunt. So if that had been mine, I would have had a mixed reaction. Happy that they used a complete sentence but shocked at that last word. I would have had to hide somewhere and have a good laugh. Of course you do right in teaching her not to use that particular word, but not too harshly.
I have to say, congratulations and I hope she uses more words, but not with too many surprise words. :D

saltycoqui
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Um, just one more thing. Next time you need to hide, and this comes from experience, lock yourself in the bathroom where no one can sneak up on you.

repetition
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

My nephew is PDD-NOS and my sister was so happy when he learned how to lie. LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)