Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School District

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son has only been in the public school ofr 4 months and I feel like I am already having to fight a lot to try to get the appropriate services for him.  Does it get any easier?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Austinsmom4544
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Can only speak for myself but I have had to fight all the way to get my son the right services.  My district will not be forthcoming with services until the parent asks and pursues them.  I was lucky to find a parent advocate from another school district who was very knowledgeable on Ohio laws and knew what services my son was eligible for that he was not getting.  The more you educate yourself the easier it gets. 

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
For us it was a huge fight at the beginning now the district and those they deal with are much more open and actually suggest and refer us to programs and services its really a state by state town to town thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I should also add our biggest hurdles now are with selenas mom and it makes getting the right services even when they are available and easily accessible vey hard unfortunately
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitten1555
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I know they don't have to follow a Dr recommendation but my sons teacher has told me that in our district they will basically follow what my sons Dr says if i have it written on a prescription. I an currently fighting to get my son OT, they ignored the letter from my sons therapist so i am asking his pediatrician for a prescription tomorrow and hopefully that will do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM
I have a letter from the developmental pediatrician saying he was benefitting from rid but they didn't care.
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

NO! -----the older they get the worse it gets.  Middle school is hard and in high school services are mostly unheard of.

Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)