Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brought tears to my eyes but so sweet!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

For the past few weeks, Jake (4yo and NT) has been struggling with listening or following directions.  He also has been picking up the behaviors of the other kids in his preschool class.  I talked to him yesterday to find out if anything is bothering him and causing these behaviors to worsen.  In his words, he told me that there are too many kids in his class and it stresses him out (at the beginning of the school year, there were 5 kids.  Now there is 14).  Then, he burst into tears telling me how much he misses Will.  He said he wants Will to come home from school and play with him.  This made me tear up because I have NEVER heard Jake say this.  :)  I have to admit, the past few weekends Jake and Will have played very well together.

Background:  Will is my 5 year old son who is deaf and autistic.  During the week, he attends a residential school for the deaf.  This means that he is only home on weekends.  

I told Jake that Will is going to be home for summer break soon and he can play with him everyday.  I also printed out a picture of Will for him to carry around.  I am hoping that this will help him feel better and to start listening again.  

I just wanted to share this with you ladies  :) 

Jake is in the red and Will is in white.  I took this picture over the weekend when Will was home.  :)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenmommo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
How sweet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kykeyu
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG I cried... A few more weeks and summer break will be here. I imagine it's really rough on him only getting to see his brother on the weekends. Hang in there guys, not that long to go :).

RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Thanks  :)  I know it has to be rough on him too.  In the past, the boys didn't interact much with each other.  Now they have been playing and doing everything together.  I never realized how much it bothered Jake.  At least summer is getting close!

Quoting kykeyu:

OMG I cried... A few more weeks and summer break will be here. I imagine it's really rough on him only getting to see his brother on the weekends. Hang in there guys, not that long to go :).

Austinsmom4544
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww, I'll admit I had tears too how sweet :)

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

that is so sweet!!! best friends and brothers! awww :) 

twins0506
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
That's so sweet :) do they always get along?
RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Not always, lol.  For the longest time, the boys didn't interact much with each other.  Jake would try to play with Will but Will always kept to himself.  This caused them to do things separately.  Now that Will is learning how to socialize and play with other kids, him and Jake have been doing a lot together.  This has been going on for a few weeks now and it has been wonderful  :)  I guess Jake has been enjoying it too since he is missing his brother.

I should also mention that despite Will's desire to be alone, Jake always looked after him as if he was the big brother.  He would bring him snacks, drinks, and would hold his hand if we went shopping.  But this is the first time they have really played together and had fun  :)

Quoting twins0506:

RochelleFS
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
OMG! That is so sweet! (Hugs) summer is right around the corner!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
So sweet :) my boys are just starting to recognize each other also.

Quoting RockinMama0608:

Not always, lol.  For the longest time, the boys didn't interact much with each other.  Jake would try to play with Will but Will always kept to himself.  This caused them to do things separately.  Now that Will is learning how to socialize and play with other kids, him and Jake have been doing a lot together.  This has been going on for a few weeks now and it has been wonderful  :)  I guess Jake has been enjoying it too since he is missing his brother.

I should also mention that despite Will's desire to be alone, Jake always looked after him as if he was the big brother.  He would bring him snacks, drinks, and would hold his hand if we went shopping.  But this is the first time they have really played together and had fun  :)

Quoting twins0506:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Siobhan69
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM

That is the sweetest thing ever. It has to be hard for Jake wanting to be with him during the week but at least the summer is right around the corner and they will have all day together. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)