• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

genetic testing swab *Another Update 5/23 *Added info how to get test done!!!!*

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 32 Replies

Update May 23, 2012:  The tests came back normal. So it's good news but doesn't really tell us anything but the Autism wasn't caused by genetics. I feel some relief in knowing that.

May 1, 2012: I spoke with the company today and asked if they do this test in all states, thinking of this group, and he said they don't but they do do it in alot of states, so if anyone is interested he said to call him to find out more information his name is Eric, he said he would answer any questions, and if anyone was interested where it's available, he would send the test to your child's DR. 

Eric L Gilbert
Sales & Customer Support | Lineagen, Inc.
Office: 801.931.6213 

www.lineagen.com

We went to the psychologist today and Aiden did very well, showing alot of eye contact and engaged!  She wanted to do the blood work for genetic testing but I never got it done, so she asked if I would be up for the swab genetic testing,  to look for chromosomes and I said yes, just because she could do it right there right then, and easy enough, no blood drawn.  she took a swab like a mini brush on it, and rubbed the inside of his cheeks. that was it! so now it's just waiting for them to send it out to this company and they will call me with any results! I am not that concerned with the results because Aiden is our only child, and we aren't having more, but I guess it might help just to know. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM
That's great he did so well. Let us know about the results
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I did not know that they could use a swab for genetic testing.  That is great he did so well at the appointment too.  Keep us updated about the results!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

me neither! it was the first time I heard of that.  I think that was alot easier then blood work, that would've been a battle for my son.

Quoting RockinMama0608:

I did not know that they could use a swab for genetic testing.  That is great he did so well at the appointment too.  Keep us updated about the results!

RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM

A lot easier than blood work!  Will had genetic testing when he was 9 months old and the amount of blood they took was ridiculous.  I don't want to put him through that again unless it is medically necessary (or life threatening).  I would definitely opt for the swab though  :)

Quoting aidensmomma508:

me neither! it was the first time I heard of that.  I think that was alot easier then blood work, that would've been a battle for my son.

Quoting RockinMama0608:

greenmommo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM
He may want to know for future reference and I have a feeling if they ever start developing treatment (not therapy) it will be gene specific.

Glad it was easy. I have an appt May 7th with my doc and I'm requesting genetic testing. Depending on how it goes will have kids tested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

updated with info

Leobaby2007
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Wendy, I have thought about doing this too. Our regular ped said she could give me a kit and then I would send it out. I'm assuming it was a swab test, otherwise how could I do it at home???

Like you, I am not having any more children, so I declined at that time (However, I asked about it in the first place, though), but part of me is curious...and the other part of me thinks- does it really matter, but it might be nice to have more info...

We are going to see a new DP next week- one the "top dogs" of all the DPs in town, if you will. I was lucky to get an appointment so soon. I booked it two weeks ago, and he had random appt open, but otherwise there were no openings until the end of the year!

I think I will ask about genetic "swabbing" because I am not interested in anything invasive, involving needles or blood.

Keep us updated, if you feel comfortable to do so! I will do the same. :-)
marisab
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Its good to know just cause aidans asd he could have kids 1!!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Yeah that's how I'm feeling, I don't think it would change anything for us, but at least then we would know I guess?

He siad it will take 3 or 4 weeks So I will let you know the results!

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Wendy, I have thought about doing this too. Our regular ped said she could give me a kit and then I would send it out. I'm assuming it was a swab test, otherwise how could I do it at home???

Like you, I am not having any more children, so I declined at that time (However, I asked about it in the first place, though), but part of me is curious...and the other part of me thinks- does it really matter, but it might be nice to have more info...

We are going to see a new DP next week- one the "top dogs" of all the DPs in town, if you will. I was lucky to get an appointment so soon. I booked it two weeks ago, and he had random appt open, but otherwise there were no openings until the end of the year!

I think I will ask about genetic "swabbing" because I am not interested in anything invasive, involving needles or blood.

Keep us updated, if you feel comfortable to do so! I will do the same. :-)

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

IDK He may or may not, I'm thinking not at this point really marisa

Quoting marisab:

Its good to know just cause aidans asd he could have kids 1!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)