Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten screening?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I'm registering my daughter for kindergarten today and they she has to do a screening. Which they say is 2 hours. I told them that's going to be difficult because she dazes off a lot and gets frustrated easily and shuts down. Plus she doesn't talk idk how they are going to do the speech part.
Has anyone been through this?
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM
The only screening for K I have heard about is if your child's birthday falls after the cutoff. If you think your LO is ready for Kinder, but his/her birthday falls after September 1st, the child has to go through a screening to determine if he or she is indeed ready to enter Kindergarten

Is this standard practice for all kids entering Kindergarten in your district? Or, is your DD in private school?
RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

No, sorry  :(  My son is going to Kindergarten next year but we don't have to do anything since he was in pre-kindergarten.  We just have to do regular registration in August (which is updating medical history, address, etc).  My youngest son will be going to Kindergarten in 2013 so it may be a little different, but he is also in the Pre-K program at a different school.

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM
My son goes to specialized preschool at the local elementary school. I'm waiting on his final iep metting to discuss placement. From what I hear academicly he doing well but socialy he struggles. I am also having him evaluated for aspergers. Im just realy having a hard time with him and need some answers. Best of luck on your daughters kindergarten screening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lissamia4
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM
They said its standard for all kids who are going into kindergarten.
She is in a private school now. But for kindergarten they said she needs one.
Lissamia4
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Thank you. We don't know I'd she is going to the district or to another school outside. We are trying to find a place for her needs
Thelmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

All kids entering K in our area are screened. It helps them determine what they need to work on her with and the like. My dd loved it. They made it fun.  They score her developmentally and may say she is ready for K or in some schools put her in a kindergarten readiness program or give her an enrichment class to help her with skills but still attend a regular K.  It all depends on your district. They will ask her to do things that are easy for her and ones she isn't quite ready to grasp yet. It gives them insight also in what kind of teaching and learning your child needs and does best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)