Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

So overwhelmed with my 5 year old son!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
  • 10 Replies
Where do I start? My son is my son is 5 years old and is getting pretty out of control. He has very bad language. His mouth is constantly spewing bad words. He repeats everything we say over and over. He calls everyone bad names. He calls me anything that pops in his mouth. He calls me DD and my name is Maria or mom. He calls his father stuff too. He constantly bothering his brothers. He runs his mouth and cause everyone to get upset. Now he's hitting his 21 month old brother. I put him in time out but its nothing for him. He goes right back to his bad behavior. He had been receiving therapy from the chrysalis center for 2 years now. No improvement! He used to fuss day to night over anything wouldn't get up get dressesd take baths and groom himself. He is on meds and in the beginning he was improving on grooming and getting up. His mouth has gotten worse and now he is regressing back to not wanting to get up and go to school. His therapist is putting in a referral to get him evaluated for aspergers. I realy need some answers and some way to help him. He seems so heartless sometimes and sometimes he can be so sweet. OK so thanks for letting me vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

have they tried to change his meds

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I'm going back next week and requesting maybe an adjustment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

:(  Hope you find some answers soon!! 

ColleenMarie81
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

i am right there with you hope you find the answers i need to find something to

milfanyway
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM
First I would say its ok! Breathe mama...
Ok, now a few suggestions: extend time out time, restrict privileges, whatever you do keep it consistent. That means always follow through with the punishment, every single time. Have you given him coping skills or an appropriate way to express anger? With my son he is allowed to cry only in his room, we dont restrict the level of tantrum, we just confine it to his bed. He also had ben taught to clap his hands tightly together, clap, etc to get his aggression out. I hope you can find done answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

What meds is he on?  Some stimulants (Ritalin, Adderall, etc)  have been know to cause our children to become more violent and aggressive.

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Flouxotin the generic of prosaic for his social anxiety. I'm not sure if that's what he needs though.

Quoting ROGUEM:

What meds is he on?  Some stimulants (Ritalin, Adderall, etc)  have been know to cause our children to become more violent and aggressive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM

You may want to ask about different meds.  Risperidone, Abilify, Geodon, etc are a class of drugs commonly prescribed to autistic children who are aggressive/violent.  Risperidone has been in a study recently and it showed to help aggression in 69% of autistic children.  My son takes this particular med and it has taken away all aggression and violence, but it did not change his personality which I worried about.

Quoting myfirstborn04:

Flouxotin the generic of prosaic for his social anxiety. I'm not sure if that's what he needs though.

Quoting ROGUEM:

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Thank you, ill mention it.

Quoting ROGUEM:

You may want to ask about different meds.  Risperidone, Abilify, Geodon, etc are a class of drugs commonly prescribed to autistic children who are aggressive/violent.  Risperidone has been in a study recently and it showed to help aggression in 69% of autistic children.  My son takes this particular med and it has taken away all aggression and violence, but it did not change his personality which I worried about.

Quoting myfirstborn04:

Quoting ROGUEM:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllaboutMyboys
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I have a 7 year old boy who is diagnosed with PDD-NOS....(its on the Autism Spectrum Umbrella). We've been there too.  I know exactly how your feeling. Meds affect moodiness very much, sometimes the dose needs to be adjusted or a whole new medication entirely. Have you looked into ABA Therapy (Applied Behavior Therapy)? I call it the miracle therapy. They work on everything from speech to occupational to everything in between. They will even include his brothers so that he could learn how to interact with them. I have 3 sons so I know from experience that its not easy. Please let me know if I could help you with anything. And remember "consistent" is key!!! XoXo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)