• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD school related

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 31 Replies

My son has many other issues besides Autism, but the school will not focus on his autism diagnosis at all. I feel the autism triggers his bipolar freak outs and meltdowns. He can become violent, turning over desks, throwing chairs etc. He is in 6th grade this year is almost 13 yrs old. I have been fighting for him to have a 1:1 since he was in 2cnd grade (he started school in another state that provided him a 1:1 and we had very little trouble then). It has been a struggle between cops being involved, him being placed on formal probation 2 yrs ago for knocking an officers arm away from him during a melt down that the school placed him in the cool down room (a closet in the special ed room used to detain children). He likes going to school, but gets very overwhelmed and they do not have the resources to allow him the breaks that are defined in his IEP. They do not allow him more time for work, tests etc that is all outlined in his IEP. I have tried getting an educational advocate for him and the guy got lost 3x trying ot find our area office (I live in a small town where there are no resources here). 

Right now he is suspended for the lat 5 days that they can legally suspend him for w/o providing in home schooling. I contacted the school about the work he is missing. I was told that he will be required to make up all missing assignments and tests but will not get credit for anything but the tests. I am appaled to say the least that he will have to do all this work when he comes back to school as they will not give it to me to do with him at home. He will miss 2 days of ISTEPS (state testing) and have to make those up also. I am unsure about even sending him back. The principal now realizes a 1:1 would be a better option for my son. I think its 6 yr too late. I am thinking of allowing him to do K12 virtual school next yr. We do have a good home school group and co-op I would join and he can do UPWARD sports. 

WWYD?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM
If you're willing and its possible to do homeschooling I think that would be a very great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Quoting twins0506:

If you're willing and its possible to do homeschooling I think that would be a very great idea.

I am more than willing to do it for him.

twins0506
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I would definitely do it then because with all that's going on now it seems like he's in trouble or fighting more than he's learning.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting twins0506:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Quoting twins0506:

I would definitely do it then because with all that's going on now it seems like he's in trouble or fighting more than he's learning.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting twins0506:

He is not so much fighting he turned over desks and chairs this time and was suspended for 5 days. 

RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

:(

Have you considered getting an advocate for your son?  I have not used one before but I have heard they help in writing IEP's and getting services for children in schools.  I know in my state, it is no cost for parents.

If that is not possible, I would definitely try homeschooling your son next year.  He deserves the best and unfortunately some schools cannot keep up with the needs of students.  I wish you the best of luck and let us know what happens!

Austinsmom4544
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Whoa,  they are not following what is outlined in his IEP?  Then what is the point having one?  Not good.  Have you taken it any higher? 

2and2onway
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting RockinMama0608:

:(

Have you considered getting an advocate for your son?  I have not used one before but I have heard they help in writing IEP's and getting services for children in schools.  I know in my state, it is no cost for parents.

If that is not possible, I would definitely try homeschooling your son next year.  He deserves the best and unfortunately some schools cannot keep up with the needs of students.  I wish you the best of luck and let us know what happens!

Yes, we have one for our area but he never showed up for any of the 3 meetings he was asked to come to the last time he was in school (he was in placement for a yr). He got lost on the way here.

2and2onway
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

Whoa,  they are not following what is outlined in his IEP?  Then what is the point having one?  Not good.  Have you taken it any higher? 

I actually argued that point to the counselor at his school yesterday and all she kept saying was they are doing what is in the best interest of not only my son but the other students as well. UGH its frustrating.

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

these were my questions too.

i think if nothing can be resolved that k12 would be a good option. 

we see this behavior with my SD and she has bipolar and asd too. :( 

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

2and2onway
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Quoting mallowcup17:

these were my questions too.

i think if nothing can be resolved that k12 would be a good option. 

we see this behavior with my SD and she has bipolar and asd too. :( 

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

I have been in touch with the special services department, still waiting to hear back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)