• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about ADOS testing and what to say

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 4 Replies

So we finally have our appointment for ADOS testing for our son. It's on Friday May 11th, I am happy we are going but nervous about the outcome. My husband says he doesn't want to give the doctor too much information about our son because he says he wants the doctor to tell us what is going on with Odin and not the other way around. Not sure how I feel about that, I am quite the chatty person and know I will blurt everything out in the first session. My dh says that he is the professional and should be able to figure our son out without us tell everything about him. My dh is not saying we won't answer the questions that they ask us but he says let them do the work to figure this out and not have us suggest anything to them. What do you guys think?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

regardless of what you say, they know what to look for... so be as chatty as you want... what you see of your child they may see something different.

we saw a lot of things with our son, but they saw more. there were things we thought we saw that werent imp. so it doesnt matter either way

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm more inclined to just... try to give them all the information, let them make of it what they will and see what they picked up that we missed.

i think more information is helpful, rather than less. the less you give, the less they go on. I pick up things about my son that are subtle cues unique to him that others might miss because they don't know his tics and quirks.

for example, when my son's about to melt down, his blood vessels in his eyes start breaking and his face flushes. people who aren't staring into his eyes or looking for those signs would totally miss it.

LIMom1105
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, share as much as you like, more is better during this testing.  The evaluators are going to ask you questions, and most likely will give you parent questionaires to fill out.  I would be as candid as possible. The evaluator is a professional, but they won't necessarily pick up everything with every child, especially if a child is nonverbal or unable to communicate effectively.

Siobhan69
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think my husband is just hopeful that if we don't say anything they won't find anything wrong. He also tells me to stop saying he has Aspergers and says that I will just be suggesting that to them without knowing what I am talking about. It's true I may not know what I am talking about but I have done a lot more research than my husband who is in denial about the whole thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)