Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

autism diet???

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
I've heard about putting kids on a gluten free wheat free diet to help with autism. My question is how do you get them to eat that when they'll only eat certain things anyway and two its soooo expensive. What do you guys do or just give your opinion about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
We do gluten free, casein free, and soy free. It doesn't work for everyone but it helps my son. My son was born with reflux and his bowel movements weren't normal.

I started by taking away casein. My son drinks coconut milk fortified with vitamin d and calcium instead of regular milk. It's healthier than regular milk. If after 3 days you see any improvement with bowel movements or behavior then you will know if it is helping.

We gradually made him gluten free. We changed the foods he likes one at a time to gluten free versions. It can take a while for gluten to get out of the system. Usually after about 3 weeks of no gluten you will see results, but for some it can take longer.

Soy free wasn't a big deal. I had him on soy milk for a while and he was getting constipated so we went soy free. There wasn't much soy in his diet anyway.

It is expensive at first. After a while you learn new receipes and where to shop for the items you like. Some things are cheaper at other stores.

He actually eats more of a variety now than he used to. Now that his tummy is feeling a lot better, he is more willing to try new items.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MilissaCarden
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Just trade one thing out at a time. I traded milk with almond milk first. Personally I like the vanilla flavor the best. Enjoy life has some good cookies and sweets. Red mill has mixes for bread and pancakes. At first I spent a lot of money tring out foods and buying mixes. But now we save money on food because we don't eat out anymore, well not as much, and I make things from scratch.
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I should've also told you that if you try the diet, don't tell people, unless they are providing meals. You should have at least one person that is regularly in your child's life that doesn't know you changed the diet. This is a way to know that there are actual results and you are not just seeing what you want to see.

I didn't tell the Birth to Three people at first. They were making comments about how much he changed over the weekend. That was when I had taken away the casein.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MilissaCarden
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Good suggestion, I didn't tell my sons ST. For a week I was like, I think he's better, yeah I think he is....but is he? Then his ST told me how great he was doing. I still kept it a secret for a month before I told her, she just kept telling me he keeps improving.

I started the diet because of my sons digestive issues. Those I knew were getting better, the waking up was a great side effect.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)