Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the board: Not sure which way to go at this point!!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM
  • 1 Replies

My oldest DS started speech therapy in preschool and was put into an enclosed class (special ed) then was diagnosed with ADHD at the end of his kindergarten year and March of last year (1st grade) he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. Half way through his first grade year he was moved to an Emotional Disability class. He has done good in this class till about 5 months ago. He suddenly doesn't want to go to school. He tries to run away from the teachers or from the bus. We really good contact with his teachers. He is still in speech therapy (next will most likely be his last year), he also sees the school social worker (both one on one and in a group setting) and OT. At the last IEP meeting it was talked about moving him into an Autism class (we didn't know that our district had autism classes for both low functioning and high functioning). We feel really good about that move (if it happens). What's even better is that the school is just down the street from us (right now his school is way down a country road). I asked him today why he doesn't want to go to school. He says because the school work is to hard. This is from the boy that will choose the harder of the school over the easy school work (when it comes to science and math anyway).

When first diagnosed with ADHD they put him on Adderall. Then about 8 months ago they added Tenex. After seeing his psychiatrist last week and telling him about DS not wanting to go school, trying to run away from school and becoming more aggressive he decided to take DS off the adderall and put him celexa and to up his tenex (from 1 mg to 2 mg).  Today the bus had to drop him off early because he was spitting on everyone (this is after him having a wonderful day). This the 3rd he's been written up this year and I'm afraid they'll kick off the school bus. I have no other way of getting him to school. I called psychiatrist but he's not in today. They said that he one or one them would call me back tomorrow.

I'm just not sure where to go or what to do anymore. He has some other health issues we're dealing with but at the moment we're at a stand still. He's anemic (copper related not iron related). They think he may have Wilson's disease but as we had to switch doctors their waiting to see his records before doing anything. He hasn't had a blood test in months so I don't know where his levels are at. I have to call to reschedule my appointment so I'm going to ask them if he got to look at his records yet.

He is also a cub scout (DH is an asst. den leader for DS's den). It has done a lot for his communication skills and for him understanding others emtions. 

Missy (31), married to Mike (38) for 9 yrs. Stay at home mom topreview imageLilypie - (9eE6)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Austinsmom4544
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Welcome  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)