Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you teach your child to....

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM
  • 1 Replies
Defend themselves from bullies. My son has been to the playground twice this week and has been bullied. He's only 4. The kids that are bullying him are around the same age maybe a tad younger. I'm getting very irritated because the children's parents are sitting right there and they pretty much watch and laugh while their kid is bullying my son. So then I have to step in and I just want him to be able to defend himself, but I don't want him to think its ok to be defensive all the time if you know what I mean.. I dOnt think its fair that we always have to leave. At this point I'd be happy if my son would just go and push one of those kids to the ground, ugh! Those little buggers are so mean to each other sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
DyerMaker
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My son is just shy of 3 years old. For now, I have had a few instances where a kid was rough or mean to my son and I promptly addressed the issue with the adult in charge. I had only 1 time where the father, in this instance, told me that if I didn't like it, then I should leave. He said it in such a loud tone that all parents around saw what happened and I simply said that it looks like his child learned the bullying from his father. That I was fully aware and fully capable of protecting myself and my special needs son from rude comments and stares and physical confrontation.Shortly after I confronted him, applause broke out and he soon took his child and left.

I have always thought that when bullying happens, that a child should go to an adult in charge. However, when it is an adult that does the bullying, it has made it hard. Also, a lot of times, the repercussions of "tattling" can be worse than the original offense.

The best thing you can do is listen to your child. Tell them they are welcome to come to YOU or any adult that is in charge and let them handle it. Tell him that even if he tells an adult, he needs to remember to tell you later and what was done. If something isn't done about it, then it is your job as his advocate to work towards a solution. I say this, especially if the bullying is physical in nature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)