Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so pissed with this school!! (OT.. kinda.. not really)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
This morning I'm bringing the boys to school and we're at the drop off line. The bus is parked with his stop sign up letting kids out. He's about 20ish feet from me. I'm about to cross the street and a lady stops to let me cross. I attempt to cross, izaiah hates holding my hand so he falls to the ground right in the middle of the street and goes into complete meltdown. The bus SPEEDS off and is 2 feet from hitting us. If the teachers and aides who take the kids off the bus weren't there banging on the bus he would have hit us.

Well I brushed it off. Its absolutely not ok that a BUS DRIVER did this but I have so much other crap on my mind... I let it go. I go pick up the boys this afternoon and the coordinator of the school comes up to me. She tells me I have to be careful when I cross the street because buses have a blind spot. WHAT?!?! I was far away from him!! And he was parked! And why the hell would I cross in front of a moving bus! Me! A car seat advocate! All about safety! So then the aide that was there was like "yea, you have to be careful when you cross" WHAT!?!! You seen the entire thing!!!!!!!!! Then they tell me I have to figure something out with izaiah because its in my best interest that he doesn't act like that in the middle of the street. I agree that its not safe but they don't have to be so nasty about it. I am so aggravated with this school that I don't even want to bring them tomorrow. I don't want to see them. Ughh

End rant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Austinsmom4544
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM

:(  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  I would be angry too. 

ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate when they try to turn it around....sigh....HUGS

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Geesh that was not nice.
thatgirl70
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

That would piss me off too.

AmyParent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM
:( I'm appalled from stories I've heard in this group about what teachers say to parents! That's just ridiculous...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3690inspire
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Kids will be kids, but the nerve of some people! Hopefully the bus drivers will be more cautious of their surroundings, wow!!
MilissaCarden
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
It was totally the bus drivers fault. I think that's why they closed rank around the driver. Don't let someone not paying attention to his job (the bus driver) determine your day. You did nothing wrong. You can not determine the actions of your special needs child. Well if it's your fault, (completely ridiculous) then I guess you need to fix it. How about getting rid of the blind spots on the bus, or a better driver, or crossing guards. Id talk to the principal. Tell them you want crossing guards. Put it in writing. Go to the school board. Maybe they'll think twice about telling you your responsible next time.
twins0506
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Crossing guards is a very good idea! I am definitely going to go in there in there when I pick them up today and talk to them about that. Thank you so much!

Quoting MilissaCarden:

It was totally the bus drivers fault. I think that's why they closed rank around the driver. Don't let someone not paying attention to his job (the bus driver) determine your day. You did nothing wrong. You can not determine the actions of your special needs child. Well if it's your fault, (completely ridiculous) then I guess you need to fix it. How about getting rid of the blind spots on the bus, or a better driver, or crossing guards. Id talk to the principal. Tell them you want crossing guards. Put it in writing. Go to the school board. Maybe they'll think twice about telling you your responsible next time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeri.arellanes
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Sounds like they're trying to cover themselves so you don't do anything legal against them.  You certainly have the right to.  I've heard it's a tough fight.

Sorry you had to go through that.  Hope things get better.  Hugs!!!

RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Wow, this school really seems to be unethical and biased!  The fact is that a bus almost hit you.  How are pedestrians, parents, or children supposed to know that there is a blind spot for drivers?  Instead of blaming you, the school should be trying to figure out ways to improve safety for all students (and parents!).  Like another mom mentioned, the use of a crossing guard will help improve safety.  Bus drivers should also be trained to know where children or parents cross the street so he or she can be on the lookout.  ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)