• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't know if it is dedication or the connection?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

My husband works at a middle school in SE with autistic boys.  The middle school happens to be our home school.  We decided last week that Matthew would start middle school there next year.  It was between that one and one other.  One factor was that my husband would be there and be able to check on him and talk to the teachers at any time.

Today was his IEP meeting to discuss what services he needed as he starts middle school and go over his progress this year. 

We were surprised to see his future teachers arrive for the meeting.  We were not told they were coming.  He will be in a couple of co-taught classes that have a SPED teacher and a regular teacher.  All of his SPED teachers came.  They said they were not required to come but they like to do this when they can to get a feel for the new student and start planning for his needs next year.

This was such a far cry from anything I have ever experienced.  These teachers drove to another school and set in a long IEP meeting and took notes ferociously.  They asked questions and genuinely seemed excited about having him next year.  They were reassuring and kind. 

I was in shock to say the least.  I couldn't even get Matthew 5th grade teacher to talk  with me almost the whole year.  It was such a total difference in their level or caring.

While I guess it doesn't matter the whys of it, I kinda wondered if we got preferential treatment because my husband works there.  He doesn't know them because he does a different grade and is in a different hall but they causally know him like a hi/bye thing.  I guess it doesn't matter if it is dedication or the connection.  I know when I am being given a great gift. I also know sometimes it is better not to question it but to just enjoy it. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM

thats so good!

selenas IEPs always include all of her future teachers and therapists. they always have a week at a time that the entire faculty is doing just this mornings so it makes it much easier for everyone to be involved. 

greenmommo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I'm impressed & he's not even my son. Good for you and Matthew. Kids can really tell when they are being welcomed and I think it makes such a big difference
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I have never met any of the boy's teachers until the registration/meet greet which is about one week before school starts.  Your SS sounds much better than ours!

Quoting mallowcup17:

thats so good!

selenas IEPs always include all of her future teachers and therapists. they always have a week at a time that the entire faculty is doing just this mornings so it makes it much easier for everyone to be involved. 

ROGUEM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I am so happy and now I won't worry over this all summer long :)

Quoting greenmommo:

I'm impressed & he's not even my son. Good for you and Matthew. Kids can really tell when they are being welcomed and I think it makes such a big difference

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM

they are now introducing autism training to all the teachers in the area too. not just her district. I know because I have several friends who are teachers and administrators and future teachers - some Special Ed others mainstream and they are all going through them along with the annual special needs training they recieve. 

Quoting ROGUEM:

I have never met any of the boy's teachers until the registration/meet greet which is about one week before school starts.  Your SS sounds much better than ours!

Quoting mallowcup17:

thats so good!

DyerMaker
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

either way it is... it can't help but be to your son's benefit! So excited that this happened for you and your family!

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Awesome that they came
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)