Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

SSI

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 51 Replies

Does anyone receive benefits for their child who has Autism?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM

used to , for awhile now our income is too high so they cut my kid off , but he still qualifies

MomRocs1102
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Is the process simple or extremely complicated ?

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

its not bad at all

CrissyJ0910
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing. My daughter is newly diagnosed w/ ASD. Can I apply online or do I go into ss office?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Our son gets ssi. We applied in person so they would get all his documentation and proof of diagnosis, income, etc.

He was approved in like 3 weeks. We didn't even know he was approved til we received his first check, the approval letter came soon afterward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomRocs1102
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thanks

MommyRJ
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM
This is my current debate- applying online or in person :/

What all do they need?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Our son gets ssi. We applied in person so they would get all his documentation and proof of diagnosis, income, etc.

He was approved in like 3 weeks. We didn't even know he was approved til we received his first check, the approval letter came soon afterward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM
We brought the proof of his diagnosis from the doctors, his ss card, our ss cards, proof of address, proof of income, bank statements (can't remember if they used them or not, but we got our account numbers from the to set up direct deposit), we even had his evaluations from the school. We wanted to do it in person cause the nearest office was about 45 min away and you would have to send in all that stuff anyways for your interview. I know sone moms who applied by mail, but went in fir the interview and brought all their documentation and proof with them then.

Quoting MommyRJ:

What all do they need?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Also, I know some may live pretty far from the nearest office, it's probably best for them to mail it, or apply online. You'll still have to mail all the documents in and they would probably do a phone interview.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

We brought the proof of his diagnosis from the doctors, his ss card, our ss cards, proof of address, proof of income, bank statements (can't remember if they used them or not, but we got our account numbers from the to set up direct deposit), we even had his evaluations from the school. We wanted to do it in person cause the nearest office was about 45 min away and you would have to send in all that stuff anyways for your interview. I know sone moms who applied by mail, but went in fir the interview and brought all their documentation and proof with them then.

Quoting MommyRJ:

What all do they need?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joelenemc
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Yes, all those forms are very important to have- you also need your child's birth certificate. The more documentation you have about your childs DX the better because SS can request additional assessments if they don't feel like they have enough info. I applied in person, and am still waiting for a response (it's only been a few weeks)

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting MommyRJ:

What all do they need?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)