Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how much thrypy and counsling does a asberger child need?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 13 Replies

we are in  group thyrpy,  horse thrypy.  now starting counsling  go along with all this. then she also has toltle rehab go school help her 1 dasy week. then this summer she will do music thrypy  for 10 weeks.  im also doing the same for my son.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kickinit
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Gosh, I wished we had any therapy that was offered for us...but I have not found any or been told of any of those kinds in our area.  I really think they would be beneficial.  Thanx and god bless

jthompson1976
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM

really?  what part of the stae do you live. we are in oklahoma. and i didnt no it but there is alot out there.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

How did you find all this?? Through what agencies?

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM

i think it depends.

I would like the school to support our efforts with life-skills and communication - my son is pretty verbal and tries hard to communicate but gets stressed out easily and can't follow a long and has social skill problems.

we have worked on our own with him since he was two and see improvements with how we handle him - we don't have a lot of resources were we live, so for us - my husband and I both play piano and sing so if he's interested, we can teach him - I even played violin for a couple years, we have property - so we have goats and will eventually get a pony most likely for him and he has his own dog.

it's a tiny, tiny town, so everyone will know my son's issues/quirks and will most likely go out of their way to be patient with him and work with him and engage him. there's people who have kids who'd trade free-babysitting (i.e. me watching their kids) to get them to come over and engage/practice with my son in a more 1 on 1 situation in a home/safe environment for him.

there's all sorts of fun activities here - fishing with dad, going hunting for rocks/garnets - 4h.

I don't believe in traditional talk therapy unless the person is specifically trained to talk to people who are autistic... and that just doesn't exist. the nearest big town with even a walmart is 3 1/2 hours away from us, with a BIG city being 4-5 hours.

I pretty much figure we are on our own here, but I don't mind. I'll do the research and my husband and I can figure out solutions and apply them to our life.

Our son makes progress, and we keep track of it and switch stuff up to make sure we keep working on it.

I practice communication with him on a daily basis, including how to phrase things, how to use words, how to say words, how to spell words, etc.

We are very hands on with our son.... but my husband has had 6 years of practice because of having to teach me all these life skills and the basics, because I came to him as an adult, who got overlooked as a child and didn't know how to do a lot of basic things when he met me, despite being "not stupid"

My husband taught me how to talk, taught me how to answer the phone appropriately, taught me how to write (I knew how to write, but had horrible grammar, sentence structure and couldn't string together words correctly.)

My son and I practice on each other a lot and my husband coaches us and helps us figure stuff out while we practice. LOL it's a team effort in our household.

jthompson1976
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM

toltle rehab  is a muisic thrypy that helps kids focus and constrate. i had a friend tell me about it. and also the school recomended. now the  group thrypy is wear i had her tested. and the horse thrypy doctor  recomended it. and school.  it really neat. teaches  trust  confdend and lessing skills. they teach them to talk to the hourse   they have to talk to the hourse then pet it the teach them to bruch  and clean feed,  teach safty.  she just started so she is leading the hourse  around the the leader may say ok billi i need you tou turn around and go other direction  and they have to walk with there head up and look forward. teacing eye con tact. and she is with another girl with asberger she has been there longer the other girl is helping my daugtheer  teaches them socal skills i highly recmind. at the end  leader ask the girl ok what do u think she did beast to day. or just positive questions about each other about how well they did ,

jthompson1976
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM

wear do u guys live/ im in oklahoma. my cousin daugther has it too and her daugther isnt in any help cause they cant afford but they need to come up with more help for every one. have you tried looking on line?

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
My step daughter has occupational and speech in school. She has a behavioral therapist/mentor that she sees once a week and sees a talk therapist and psychiatrist with access to councillors in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomRocs1102
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

ds does his activities in school.  He has two classes he goes to one is strictly social with other students, they play have convo's, play games things like that to work on social skills

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My son does not have Aspergers, but PDD NOS. He is 4 and receives OT, speech (focusing on pragmatics starting this year, he does not need help learning words or pronunciation at this point), and social skills therapy (it's called play therapy, but the concept is similar). His doctor thinks he needs to see a psychologist for his OCD issues and anxiety, but I feel he's young now. I may bring him to someone and see what they suggest, but talk therapy I don't see helping that much now.

He also attends a PreK that is about half special needs children, half NT. Most of the special needs kids are on the spectrum or have ADHD. The teacher has a Masters in Special Education, and there are more asst. teachers than at a typical PreK, so it has been good for him.

It depends on the child though. Some need more therapy, others less. A lot depends upon how they are affected and what areas are a problem for them. Most need some help with communication I think, it might be more along the lines of learning to hold a conversation than speaking, and social skills. My son has been able to say hi for a long time, but we finally taught him to say it consistently. If he didn't feel like it, he didn't see why he should do it.
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

the kids from school ride their bikes past our house and will wave and say hi to my son and my son has to be prompted to respond back to them.

Quoting LIMom1105:

My son does not have Aspergers, but PDD NOS. He is 4 and receives OT, speech (focusing on pragmatics starting this year, he does not need help learning words or pronunciation at this point), and social skills therapy (it's called play therapy, but the concept is similar). His doctor thinks he needs to see a psychologist for his OCD issues and anxiety, but I feel he's young now. I may bring him to someone and see what they suggest, but talk therapy I don't see helping that much now.

He also attends a PreK that is about half special needs children, half NT. Most of the special needs kids are on the spectrum or have ADHD. The teacher has a Masters in Special Education, and there are more asst. teachers than at a typical PreK, so it has been good for him.

It depends on the child though. Some need more therapy, others less. A lot depends upon how they are affected and what areas are a problem for them. Most need some help with communication I think, it might be more along the lines of learning to hold a conversation than speaking, and social skills. My son has been able to say hi for a long time, but we finally taught him to say it consistently. If he didn't feel like it, he didn't see why he should do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN