Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Boyz II Men star Shawn Stockman on his son’s autism: ‘There’s no way a normal couple or a single mom could afford this’ via NY Daily News

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 12 Replies

Boyz II Men star Shawn Stockman on his son’s autism: ‘There’s  no way a normal couple or a single mom could afford this’ 

R&B star launching 'Micah's Voice' to help families with autistic children

Comments

VIA CNN

Boyz II Men star Shawn Stockman and his twin sons Micah and Ty.

Boyz II Men singer Shawn Stockman knows how lucky he is.

The 39 year-old R&B star and his wife Sherhonda are the proud parents of three children, a toddler daughter and 9 year-old twin sons.

Son Micah developed autism around his first birthday.

He and his wife talked frankly with CNN about the devastating diagnosis, the challenge of finding the best care and making sure the other children feel special too.

Stockman was especially honest about one thing: Money.

Special schools, behaviorists, speech therapists are all extremely expensive.

“We learned through our journey with Micah just how fortunate we were, having money,” he said. “There’s no way a normal couple or a single mom could afford this,” Stockman said.

It’s with this gratitude that the couple decided to launch Micah’s Voice, a non-profit to benefit a family with a child suffering from autism.

The goal of the organization would be to cover the day-to-day costs of caring for and educating the child.

Stockman and his wife know all too well what a daunting task it all is, even if money weren’t an issue.

He said that his son seemed normal up until his first birthday. Then he seemed to shut down.

“It was drastic because Micah was the first one to talk, the first one to walk,” he told CNN.

The diagnosis was heartbreaking and threw the family into unknown territory.

“I ddn’t know what to do,” he said. “One thing a man hates when it comes down to his family is not knowing what to do.”

The couple was lucky to find an elementary school where both twins, Ty and Micah, could attend.

They have a two-year old daughter who also needs love and attention.

Still, it’s a hard and heartbreaking path.

“All you want for your sons is to grow up and develop a life of their own,” he said, growing emotional. “And to know that it may not happen for my son Micah is extremely hurtful,”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/boyz-ii-men-star-shaun-stockman-son-autism-a-normal-couple-a-single-mom-afford-article-1.1069713#ixzz1tXPn2XJ9
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is great he started a campaign to help other families cover the costs of autism!

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

That is great! I am hoping with time and as people become more aware, the costs will either become more affordable or more insurance companies will cover it.

ROGUEM
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
he sounds like a great father and a great person
Kittie26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I have a feeling that a normal couple or single mother couldn't afford the care that THEY went after... but so far Aly's therapy hasn't cost me a dime beyond what you'd spend on any child, and I'm a single mother. Still, it's nice that they're trying to help others. 

marisab
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

yeah i am sure what therapys they have are expensive but its great they wanna help

AMom29
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting Kittie26:

I have a feeling that a normal couple or single mother couldn't afford the care that THEY went after... but so far Aly's therapy hasn't cost me a dime beyond what you'd spend on any child, and I'm a single mother. Still, it's nice that they're trying to help others. 

It really depends on where you live, I think.  We've not had to pay for anything either -- it's all provided through the school system.  There are additional services we could pursue, but we can't afford them right now.

Kittie26
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM

My daughter is 2, so we've only done EI, but schools will cover everythin also unless they decide she doesn't qualify. In that case, I will get outside therapy, but I've heard from my boss -- whose son was recently diagnosed ADHD and suspected Aspergers (he only just turned 6 so they're keeping an eye on him) -- there is not even a co-pay thanks to Obamacare and our insurance. I guess I'm lucky to live where I do? I'm a single mom who doesn't have to pay a cent. Pretty much rocks. 

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting Kittie26:

It really depends on where you live, I think.  We've not had to pay for anything either -- it's all provided through the school system.  There are additional services we could pursue, but we can't afford them right now.

ZsMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Ahhh-I always loved Shawn (and the rest of Boyz II Men-Not just the music-but cuz I'm from PA-the Philly side)

I'm really thankful he and his wife have a grip on reality realizing families do struggle (While we have not had to put $ out-many famiies do) and are starting this to help others.

Thanks for some positive news.

kajira
by Emma on May. 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

were a two person family and it's going to cost us 2400 dollars just for the diagnoses to be confirmed.

our son's referral visit wasn't covered because it wasn't considered a well child check up either.

:/

our insurance won't pay for much until we hit a certain deductable, which is like 4000 for our family - then they cover everything - but if they don't feel it's needed (which they may not feel autism therapies are needed depending on what services are even available in our area) we may not get coverage.

Quoting Kittie26:

My daughter is 2, so we've only done EI, but schools will cover everythin also unless they decide she doesn't qualify. In that case, I will get outside therapy, but I've heard from my boss -- whose son was recently diagnosed ADHD and suspected Aspergers (he only just turned 6 so they're keeping an eye on him) -- there is not even a co-pay thanks to Obamacare and our insurance. I guess I'm lucky to live where I do? I'm a single mom who doesn't have to pay a cent. Pretty much rocks. 

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting Kittie26:

Kittie26
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I have to admit, I did get VERY lucky with the diagnosis through early intervention. At the time Aly entered the program, they had a psychologist on staff, which meant the diagnosis was free. Soon after, he left the county program because his own practice was neglected. I learned later that my county was the only one in the state offering free diagnosis. It currently is not offering diagnoses at all -- the new psychologist is younger than I am and seems to know nothing (she seems about 12, and all of her advice is canned from text books). I don't know if she's getting qualified to diagnose, so I really lucked out getting Aly diagnosed when I did... I do hear it costs thousands around here, what with Kennedy Krieger close by.

Quoting kajira:

were a two person family and it's going to cost us 2400 dollars just for the diagnoses to be confirmed.

our son's referral visit wasn't covered because it wasn't considered a well child check up either.

:/

our insurance won't pay for much until we hit a certain deductable, which is like 4000 for our family - then they cover everything - but if they don't feel it's needed (which they may not feel autism therapies are needed depending on what services are even available in our area) we may not get coverage.

Quoting Kittie26:

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting Kittie26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)