Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Help!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

Am a thirty nine year old mother of three and just found my six year old has autism spectrum disorder. I need some help please I do not know what to do at this point. He is a very active young child. He has been suspened from school a total of seven times and his on medicine.And going to attend Pepin Adcadmeny next school term. If you can give me any information are books anything it is greatly appricated.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nicksmom217
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

you have dx, that is the first step. he needs IEP services in school, good psychiatrist, some one he can talk to, maybe social skills group. will help him with some behavior problems. find what he is interested in, explore that, get involve with that, it will  give him confidence to talk about it and give him, something he can concentrate on. hope it will get better.

skerst83
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Aww....my heart goes out to you!! I can honestly tell you that I know exactly how you feel because I'm going through the same thing. One of the wonderful women on here lead me to the Autism Speaks website and it has been a great deal of help.  There's a section on the first days after you get the diagnosis and a ton of other information. Just hang in there and read as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions....the women here are incredibly helpful.  :)

sunshinegirl38
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Thank you for all your help and support.

ROGUEM
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

There is a 100 day kit that skerst83 is referring to on the Autism speaks website.  When my twins first got dx I cleaned out Barnes and Noble's autism section...LOL.   I am 38 and my energy level isn't what it used to be :(  My twins are 8 with autism and every day is interesting blessing.  I would read all you can, find a local support group to find out what services are offered in your area. check out the website called wright's law so you can find out your rights for your child's education.  He will need a n IEP.  Also look for autism events and social gatherings.  My sons play challenger baseball and go to sensory movies, etc. 

I look forward to getting to know you better!

ROGUEM
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and now that he is dx'd you need to get a Behavioral Plan that can make it almost impossible for the school to suspend him.  In fact, it shifts alot of his behavior control on them.  If his behavior is linked or part of his disability they have to find ways to minimize it happening and to contain it.  Suspending him for part of his disability is a big NO NO!

sunshinegirl38
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I agree with you a hundred percent, that is why am changing his school, because they are not able to give him what he needs in a school setting.

sunshinegirl38
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Thank you for all your support. And he has an IEP and the school physicist is getting involved and they are reevaluating his IEP. And I would like very much to talk with you.

steph2884
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)