Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son age 3 has alot of signs and symptoms of autism.  We took him into his pediatrician today and she agrees so has referred us to a clinical pyschologist.

I'm so scared and overwhelmed, I am sitting here typing this in tears.  I really need encouragement and advice.  I feel as though I have failed as a mother.

crying

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-12):
KickButtMama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Welcome!! My name is Shannon and my eldest sin is on the spectrum. He is nearly 11 y/o now. I think we all went through that initial terror at the prospect of our child being labeled different....what would that mean? Would they never be 'normal' or fit in?

But watching my son grow has been a beautiful thing. Sure he's a little different but he has friends, he is so caring of others. I now feel so blessed! He has taught me to be less cynical. He looks at the world through such innocent eyes - he doesn't see the dark in people. This frightens me as he isn't equipped to defend against those darker emotions in people, but learning to see the world through his eyes has made our life lighter and more beautiful.

So don't give up hope. His future is still bright. We as parents of special kids just have to learn different ways of saying and doing things so they can understand. I always think of it like i adopted a child from a foreign country - they might have their own language, traditions, holidays, etc. i have to learn those things just as much as he needs to learn mine.
Alma4Mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I agree what matters here is he is getting help at a young age Autism or not this is what he needs so consider yourself blessed with a caring Dr. work very very hard to help him and will he be "normal" one day who knows but he will be the best he can be thanks to you! Hugs kisses love attention time patience are key!  Do not ever forget the following...

YOU DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)