Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

two steps forward, three steps back.

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 4 year old ASD son has made amazing progress the past month.  It all started when the IEP was signed, and a new, wonderful school was found.  He's loved it there, and more importantly, the staff at the new school love him.  This, in addition to all the district services (we haven't even begun the regional center home services yet), have led him to initiate play with other children (and run back to me for acknowledgement for the initiating), and look people in the eyes (albeit a bit awkwardly).  We've been thrilled.  It's been just over one month.  Then Monday came, and a "problem" note from school.  Lots of meltdowns.  This was followed by major issues and stimming at home, and very little sleep.  Today, the pattern was repeated.  Is this just a Monday thing, or a temporary setback?  I'm feeling very frustrated.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It happens. (hugs)

We had a similar set back recently and she is starting to pull forward again

ROGUEM
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably 80% of these episodes with my twins are because they are getting sick or having allergy problems.  Watch it and if in a couple of days it doesn't get better call a meeting and go up to the school and investigate.  You never know if something has happened to cause this.  A friend of mine had a daughter who started having meltdowns at school out of the blue she went down there and they had changed the decor.  The new carpet had a busy pattern and they had put heavy blinds over the windows. All her artwork had been taken down off the newly painted walls.  Basically they had destroyed her comfy nest and she was showing her dissatisfaction and discomfort over the new environment. The teachers and aid didn't make the connection. You know being a special ed teacher and being the parent of an ASD child is totally different thing.  We are in constant Sherlock Holmes mode and able to solve things about our children others just can't.   If it doesn't get better there might be a change at school that no one has thought of.

Tonyawm
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Great advice- thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Very true Michelle

Tonyawm
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Quoting ROGUEM:

Probably 80% of these episodes with my twins are because they are getting sick or having allergy problems.

Ha! Sure enough, my son vomited this morning and has been sick all day. I've never imagined that I would be glad that my child was sick, but it explains so much!
ROGUEM
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I am always kinda glad it is something like a cold too.  There is nothing worse than your child having behavior problems and you can't figure out why.  It is such a hopeless feeling and the teachers are staring at you like what is wrong!!!!

Quoting Tonyawm:

Quoting ROGUEM:

Probably 80% of these episodes with my twins are because they are getting sick or having allergy problems.

Ha! Sure enough, my son vomited this morning and has been sick all day. I've never imagined that I would be glad that my child was sick, but it explains so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)