Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Moms of NT girls ages 4 or 5 or so....lol

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I went to pick up Donovan at school this morning and one of the girls in his class began asking me a barage of questions.

Do you work?

How come you have braces on your teeth? (I have adult orthodontics to correct a bite issue, which I explained to her)

What is your bite?

LOL- I had to explain that too.

How did they put them on?

I explained that as well.

Do they hurt?

I told her "no", even though they are sore after my monthly tune up. I didn't want to scare her in case she ever has to have them. :-)

How do they put them on?

I explained the dentist uses special cement to adhere the brackets to your teeth and then they slide the wire through.

How do they take them off?

I looked at her and told her I had NO IDEA, but when I did get them taken off, she would be the FIRST person I told all about it.

LOL- too cute!!!

Then the teacher came over and made her go to story time and apologized. The teacher has 4 grown children, 2 boys, 2 girls and she told me with her girls after awhile she had to put her hand up and say, "That's it! No more questions!" LOL!

I'm just not USED to it. I know girls probably ask more questions than boys anyway, but even as verbal as I was at age 4/5, I was too shy to ask another adult so many questions.

I got my braces on my teeth LAST July. Just this past March, my son noticed them and asked me what they were. I told him they were braces. He asked if he got to have braces. I told him maybe, maybe not. And that was the end of that conversation. HA HA HA HA!

I know a lot of it has to do with NT vs ASD and some of it has to do with girls vs boys and I could tell their teacher didn't want the little girl to annoy me, but it was quite the opposite. I found it refrshing and amusing.

Any of you moms with more than one child have little NT girl chatterboxes like out there?

If so, give them a big hug and a kiss!!! XO

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Replies (11-18):
Leobaby2007
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Lol. Well, whatever- NT, ASD, personality, etc. she sure was cute, but it *might* drive you a little crazy after awhile. I just was so unused to all the inquiries!

None of the other 7 girls in his class ever talk to the adults lol. There are 4 boys and could they be more different than the girls in general??? No!! Apples to oranges. Ahhh...kids. :-)
kathrynmlise
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

There are a few 'first' memories that come to mind concerning myself. The first one being, "don't sit on me, it's hot." We lived in Arizona and I was a mommies girl! On that same note, there was, "SHUT THE DOOR!" Again, it was Arizona, but this one always killed me because when my father would yell it I usually hadn't even opened the door yet, I was just reaching for it, and how did he always know? He was in the next room! Last but not least; "I'll give you a nickle if you are quiet for 5 minutes." Honest, I really do have nice parents! But, I hung on my mom and NEVER stopped talking! Ha!

jax3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my! I have a 7 year old NT girl.  And with 2 asd older brothers, yes...shes the odd one out.  Shes just always, mommy? mommy? mommy? mommy?  Sometimes Im like Girl!!!!  Shhhhhh!!!!  Haha! But I do love it!

Leobaby2007
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Quoting kathrynmlise:

There are a few 'first' memories that come to mind concerning myself. The first one being, "don't sit on me, it's hot." We lived in Arizona and I was a mommies girl! On that same note, there was, "SHUT THE DOOR!" Again, it was Arizona, but this one always killed me because when my father would yell it I usually hadn't even opened the door yet, I was just reaching for it, and how did he always know? He was in the next room! Last but not least; "I'll give you a nickle if you are quiet for 5 minutes." Honest, I really do have nice parents! But, I hung on my mom and NEVER stopped talking! Ha!

Lol. I live in AZ and it's already un the 90's!

Mostly, my brother was the magpie between us. He still never shuts up lol. However, when the two of us get together, even now, he gets me talking and no one can get in a word. It drives my mother nuts!

Parents can be the best, but even they get frustrated.

I remember my dad saying to my brother MANY times after my mom had called his name and asked to stop whatever it was he was doing or saying, "Adam! Don't you ever get tired of hearing your name being called?" lol.

My son talks a lot, but no "why" questions. (yet)
Jadnorton
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM
My son has a girl friend like that. She is about to be four and nt as anything and all she does is talk and ask questions. It's cute but I sure wouldn't want to be the mom. Her mom is exhausted from it at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Quoting Jadnorton:

My son has a girl friend like that. She is about to be four and nt as anything and all she does is talk and ask questions. It's cute but I sure wouldn't want to be the mom. Her mom is exhausted from it at night.

Lol. Is IS cute, though. This girl yesterday just blew my mind! I bet it can be exhausting, though, but it would be a nice change for me for awhile. I've been "told" this is what kids are "supposed" to do, but how would I know? My son is just different, but cute as can be anyway.

Adorable about your son's girl friend, BTW. :-)
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

It IS exhausting!  Sometimes I find that I've answered him incorrectly, because I'm trying to concentrate on other things or the wall or words has lulled me into a stupor:)  Some of his questions I love, and I try to answer as many as I can since I do want to encourage inquisitiveness.

Here was an example from the tub last night. 

"Mommy, when will I see grandma and grandpa?"

"Next weekend, we're having lunch with them."

"does everyone have a grandma and grandpa?"

"Most children do, but some do not anymore."

"Mommy, do you have a grandma and grandpa?" 

"Yes, I did have a nana and pop-pop. I loved them very much."

"Where are they?"

"In heaven."

"How did they get there?"

Gulp.  "They got old, and they both died (he knows what this word means).  After they died they went to heaven."

"Why did they get old?"

"People do get old if they live long enough."

"What do they do in heaven?"

"They see other people they knew and watch people they loved who are still alive. They do fun things in heaven."

"No work or school?"

"No, no work or school."

"So it's like the weekend?"

"Yes, it's like a big weekend."

"Do your grandma and grandpa have rings around their heads (halos)"?

And so on, and so on.  He did keep asking questions about them, then we transitioned from heaven to what we are going to do this weekend.  It wasn't bad because he was in the tub, but if I'm doing something else, my mind isn't always on the questions.

Leobaby2007
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Quoting LIMom1105:

It IS exhausting!  Sometimes I find that I've answered him incorrectly, because I'm trying to concentrate on other things or the wall or words has lulled me into a stupor:)  Some of his questions I love, and I try to answer as many as I can since I do want to encourage inquisitiveness.

Here was an example from the tub last night. 

"Mommy, when will I see grandma and grandpa?"

"Next weekend, we're having lunch with them."

"does everyone have a grandma and grandpa?"

"Most children do, but some do not anymore."

"Mommy, do you have a grandma and grandpa?" 

"Yes, I did have a nana and pop-pop. I loved them very much."

"Where are they?"

"In heaven."

"How did they get there?"

Gulp.  "They got old, and they both died (he knows what this word means).  After they died they went to heaven."

"Why did they get old?"

"People do get old if they live long enough."

"What do they do in heaven?"

"They see other people they knew and watch people they loved who are still alive. They do fun things in heaven."

"No work or school?"

"No, no work or school."

"So it's like the weekend?"

"Yes, it's like a big weekend."

"Do your grandma and grandpa have rings around their heads (halos)"?

And so on, and so on.  He did keep asking questions about them, then we transitioned from heaven to what we are going to do this weekend.  It wasn't bad because he was in the tub, but if I'm doing something else, my mind isn't always on the questions.

Awwww. Still, that is the cutest thing! :-) Your son is wonderfully inquisitive!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN