Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What therapy/ies are you doing with your high-functioning autistic children?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son is turning 5 in July. We feel like he is doing pretty well, but are trying to decide what summer program to put him in. I have difficulty with ABA, but know it is one of the more popular routes. We have an option of a social class (with both autistic and neuro-typicals once a week for 2 hrs) or ABA (only twice a week for 2 hrs.) It seems ridiculous, but I'm having honest anxiety making these decisions. 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leobaby2007
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM
We do ST and OT, a social speech group on Friday afternoon, which ends in 2 weeks, and in the summer, speech camp. 6 weeks, M-Th, 9am-12pm. We did It last year and liked it and he was welcomed back agin this year as well. (They evaluate your child to make sure he or she is a good candidate for the camp). I plan on keeping up his schedule of 2 times OT and 2 times ST (both private) weekly during the summer as well.

No ABA, because "they" tell me he doesn't need it, but I am personally curious because I have heard such great things from their moms about it.

Oh, and my son is the same age as yors- turns 5 in beginning of August.
Jenn8604
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM
bump mines severly autistic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM
4 moms liked this

Horse back riding therapy! :)

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:28 AM

We do OT once a week and speech twice a week.  We also do RDI. (relationship developmental intervention)  That is parent training where they teach us how to work with him effectively.  We had tried ABA and found it was too basic for our son.  He is only 3 but is pretty high functioning.  I think he will also do the Extended School Year in our district.

momtoscott
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Is there any way to get him in both, or do you have to choose one or the other?  Otherwise, the decision might be based on where you think your son's skills need the most improvement--are you more worried about the social piece, or the skills piece?  If both cost the same, I would probably opt for the one with twice as many sessions per week. 

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM
We have speech 2x a week, OT 2x a week, and a social skills group 2x a week. He has not had ABA, and in his case, I am not sure it's needed.

Why does it have to be either or? If you are paying I understand, but f it's the school district, why are they making you choose?

If you have to pick one, I agree with a previous poster. It depends where you think he needs more help.
3_n_done
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Mine has OT once a week, and a social group once a week. He also has an ABA therpist that  works with him from 8-11 on weekday mornings. She mostly works on social skills with him -- community outings, play dates with neighborhood friends, etc.  But she also helps reinforce the things he learns in kindergarten -- beginning reader books, writing sentences (he has trouble with spacing) etc. 

This summer he is going to a day camp with typical 5-6 yr olds and his therapist will attend with him for part of the day.

mallowcup17
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Ot speech behavioral and soccer is proving to be wonderful for her. She also sees a talk therapist and has access to councilors in school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

OT/ST/social group

But she has the summers off so we are doing therapeutic riding this summer. She starts right after school lets out.

ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I think if he is higher functioning then do the Social skills.  If he has alot of behaviors then do the ABA.  ABA will work on Social skills too but in a more controlled less spontaneous environment.  My son Jonathan had behaviors so I opted to do the behavior therapy first to get those under control.  He finally is in a great place and has almost no behaviors now so I am now starting Social skills training on the 22nd.

My oldest son went through Social skills training and it really helped him so I am very excited that Jonathan is ready!  I am going to be very honest, I have watched my oldest son do years of social skills training and many kids are not ready. I don't know if your program is more play based or a real skill training group.  If it is just structured play with NTs then he would be fine at any level.  But if it is a "real" group and they will model and practice and learn social skills make sure he is ready or you will be wasting your money. If your child has a hard time sitting still, behaving, and paying attention he won't get the maximum results.  That is why I did the behavioral training first with Jonathan to get him to that point where he would really get something out of it.   Every year there are children who go to Social skills training with my oldere son and they are rolling on the floor, walking around and not paying attention.  I am not sure how much they are getting out of it.  My son has had both the structured play and the "real" classes.  Be sure you check out what you will be getting for your money.

I don't know where your son falls in this so I am just throwing it all out there...LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN