Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What therapy/ies are you doing with your high-functioning autistic children?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is turning 5 in July. We feel like he is doing pretty well, but are trying to decide what summer program to put him in. I have difficulty with ABA, but know it is one of the more popular routes. We have an option of a social class (with both autistic and neuro-typicals once a week for 2 hrs) or ABA (only twice a week for 2 hrs.) It seems ridiculous, but I'm having honest anxiety making these decisions. 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (11-17):
Jadnorton
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
My son will be 5 in October and this summer he will have speech, day camp at his preschool, and a social skills class starting in July. During the school year he also gets social therapy and ot plus another session of speech. This summer though we have everything planned for late week so we can take small trips to museums and children's museums along with zoos and aquirams. We are doing the teacch method at home. Aba is just not for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
repetition
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My insurance does not cover autism therapy, so I try to find other options. My dd (Aspergers) is going to be in Boys and Girls club.

LadyOsgood
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Speech and Occupational. She goes to a behaviorist and a psychiatrist. She plays baseball (which we consider as part of therapy) and we are looking into ballet. She has two day camps this summer. One is with a local therapy place that helps all kinds of special little ones get ready for kindergarten, and the other is language based through the speech therapist we use.

Kittie26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

My daughter is almost 3 and receives in-home special ed once a week, in-home speech therapy once every other week, and in-center group therapy twice a week. She was also seeing a psychologist in the home, but the girl was useless so I stopped that one. No idea what her therapy will look like when she starts special ed pre-k this summer. Still waiting for the IEP meeting.

mom0721
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

He doesn't qualify for any extended school year services and we are having a great deal of trouble getting him into speech programs in the area. Anything he does we have to pay for and our insurance won't even cover a penny.

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My son is a bit younger than yours, OP, but this summer, we are planning on Speech, OT, Hippotherapy and social skills through a kids day out program mainly for NT children. In the fall, he will start school and they will do ABA daily as well as speech, OT and some training on the iPad

mom0721
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I came across another option for a sensory social group where he interacts with other Autistic and neuro-typicals by doing sensory activities. I think this will be a good fit for him! Thank you all I appreciate your input more than you know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN