Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you afford therapy for your children?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have private insurance that does not cover autism therapy and we make too much for medicaid. I read about all these therapies on here and have to budget my dd going to a psychologist a few times a year. She was not allowed to have an IEP plan (has Aspergers) at school, just a 504.

My ds is in our district's preschool. I am hoping he can get into a University preschool for kids with autism. He's been on the waiting list since he's been 2 1/2 and he's almost four. I was told he did not qualify for summer preschool because he has not regressed. He's also non-verbal and very behind for his age. :(

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (21-24):
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM
We have Tricare. But right now her therapy comes from early intervention. We will start aba therapy soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My son gets ABA therapy. He gets Medicaid, but they don't cover ABA, we had to apply for a grant to get him therapy.

I'm Samantha. SAHM & F/T student. Momma to 3 gorgeous boys & 1 on the way.

baby growth

by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

"EI is Early Intervention also known as birth to 3 in some places.  My son receives therapy through EI also.  The services vary depending on location.  The program ends when the child reaches 3 yrs old.  And "obamacare" isn't a specific health insurance policy or anything like that.  There are just new requirements that might or might not help you depending on your situation. "

In my state it's called Up to 3 and he was in that program.

"Just self-educate and do a lot of the work yourself.... that's what we do."

The more I learn about autism, the more I realize I am in over my head. It's just the simple things like how to deal with tantrums that I don't think of by myself or by searching the internet for hours or by reading countless books. I feel another person's perspective with experience in dealing with all types of autism is invaluable.

"Check to see if your state has a Waiver Program, which gets you past the income piece when you have a special needs child.  We have just started the process.  Our private insurance doesn't cover developmental speech.  The speech and OT that he is getting at school is great, but not enough to have a significant impact."

There is a medicaid waiver program where open enrollment starts in October. There will be 200 spots available for the entire state. It covers kids ages 2-5 in Utah (second highest rate of autism in the U.S.). I'm hoping, but doubtful.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM

thankfully we have a combination of a really good insurance and a really good school system that allows us access to pretty much any kind of therapy we need through one or the other or both. our area also has several community service organizations that offer therapy and support that is available to everyone who needs it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)