Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

WWYD

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

Senario

Your older child comes home from school and wants to play on the computer for a bit. Younger child had their time already. Older child starts playing while younger child whines and tries to take over the entire time. Older child gets frustrated at their space being invaded. They ask to be given space and are ignored and end up biting younger child.

Do you you

A) Make older child apologize but let them continue playing

B) turn off the computer

C) other

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
touchingstars
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM
B
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Turn off the computer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kittie26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Apologies, hugs, and separation if they can't play nicely.

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

This happened today with dd1 and dd2. We have a zero violence policy and I turned off the computer. Both went about their day so I know I did good. I did waver initially. Mostly because I knew it was coming and I didnt stop it. I was working. Mia takes over all the time and Bella never gets a turn and I should have tried to get mia to do something else.

The situation wasnt totally fair to Bella, but she crossed a line.

kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Well... I know how I feel when I get bugged when I'm on the computer - so I probably would have tried to prevent a situation like that from happening altogether by not allowing the other child to pester them while they were on the computer. I've playfully bitten my husband for touching my computer when I was on it.... but I held back and told him that even though I was joking my initial feeling was to bite him harder. LOL
ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

This is hard but because they both did something wrong.  This happens in my home alot.  My oldest son is quite correct when he says, I he didn't start it.  But I don't want him to think that he can finish it by using bad behavior.  I would have turned it off but the next day I would have made the younger child leave the area when their turn was over.  I really try to minimize these situations as much as I can.  I try to use situations like these a learning experience.  People are going to do unfair things to you all your life, the earlier a person learns two wrongs don't make a right the better.

ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Oh I am an older child myself and I personally think being an older child means you get the shaft alot...LOL

jax3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Hi. Ive had this happen but the other way around. Younger child bites older one for computer time.  I turn off the computer and no one gets computer time.  Sorry...cant play nice then no one gets it.
Good Luck. 

RockinMama0608
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I would make the older child apologize for biting and then turn off the computer.  I would also talk to the younger child and explain that he or she already had their computer time and that was not appropriate behavior.   It was not fair to the older child but the biting was not a good solution to the propblem. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)