Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

important question revised

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

okay i asked in a post a little bit ago how do your children behave with other people they love care about and know well, what i meant is do they behave better or worse does their autistic behavior show more or less, do they act more normal around ones they love?

the reason i ask this is my mom came down (my son sees her once a month and loves her to death) since she came down all the things that concern me, he hasnt really showed. he has been more verbal, he actually ate 3 bites for her (he hasnt ate real food in 6 days so this was a major thing for us to see. ) hes had a few tantrums still but hes not like he typically is, his behavior is sooo much better so improved.

im asking this because i want to understand is this typical for autisitic kids or does this mean he probably isn't autistic?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3Dani75
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

lol, I wish I could help you but I have similar issues but in reverse...when my son she's my mother he acts out more & does things that he doesn't usually do (behavior issues) & he will look right at her, smile & do whatever...but for my Grandmother he is wonderful for her, she has actually gotten him off the bus a few times & watched him for me for a short time on more than 1 occation. Most of the town/area where I live calls her "Mom/Gramma" so its like he knows she's extra special so behaves well, whenever theres a family event & I say go give Gramma a kiss he goes to her with no problem but not my mom (his gramma) last time he gave her a kiss he wiped it off, started gagging & coughing, made a big production of it all while smiling!!! we laughed but dont know why he is like this, its been that way since he was a baby-before his diagnosis. 

just because your son does this doesn't mean he's not autistic, they all have different behaviors

Kittie26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Ahh, okay, I understand this question better. My daughter acts the same with others as she does for me. I have to point out things that might set her off and teach them to avoid or work with those things, and if I'm not around she might get set off more just by them not knowing, but in general she's the same for all those she loves.

kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM
my son always acts better for others for short periods of time, and always has. when he was a toddler, he was the most *well behaved* toddler in public you'd ever seen - then he'd go home and melt down. He was perfect in church - then he'd go home and melt down. He'd do okay at school - then come home and melt down. It wasn't until my mom in law lived with him for 6 weeks, that she finally saw his melt downs because he FINALLY did them for her in front of her. But it took a long time - then around 6 he started having them in public.... he still tries to hide them and wait until he's in a quiet spot to freak out.... but for him, trying not to let others see his bad behavior or tantrums has always been fairly normal for him. I think he feels embarrassed. Or, he says it makes him feel shy to know others see his meltdowns....
ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If she stayed with you for a long period, I am betting that he would revert to his normal behavior.  My boys act differently when people come visit  and can keep it up for a while but then they always revert back to their normal behavior patterns if the person stays too long.  To be honest, don't we all do this...LOL I am really nice to my in-laws during a short visit but if they stay to long I can't keep it up :)

steph2884
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

My son acts pretty much the same no matter where we are or what we're doing or who we are around. Which is good because doctors and therapists can get a good idea of his behavoir.

jax3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:09 AM

I have 2 asd son. My younger son, almost 9, doesnt really change much around others. But my older almost 11 years old becomes a social butterfly. Hes severely speech delayed and he starts talking and mumbling really quickly. Trying to start and act in a conversation...laughing when everyone else is laughing.  He doesnt normally do this in general at home.

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:13 AM
lol

fourkidsinnc
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:41 AM

all of my children behave better for others,i find that frustrating sometimes,even my hfa child does,but some of his symptoms are still there just less

repetition
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Both of my kids act the same. The exception is doctors offices and hospitals for my my son. He goes into complete meltdown, also at my dd's school. I cannot figure out why. I don't take him there often.

mallowcup17
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM

selena acts this way too. shes much "better" around my parents and js family(my dh) but her behaviors will come out after the "honeymoon" period with these people has ended. if we spend a weekend with either side by the first night she displays the same behaviors she does daily..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)