Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Changes in Appearance

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 25 Replies
If you change your appearance, even in a small way, does your child get upset? Mine does, I guess it's the change that he doesn't like.

If I take off my glasses, he gets very upset. Ditto if I pull my hair in a ponytail. He begs me to make my hair nice until I do.

Any other children like this?
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Coca.Cola
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Children? How about adults ....

I was 20 when my husband shaved his head. It pissed me off. I wanted nothing to do with him. It was the only time this happened to me. He felt so bad for not warning me. Just came out BALD. Jerk. I have Aspergers. Yeah it bugged me. I still can not watch him shave his head. It bothers me. 

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I don't know, I would be pissed if my husband shaved his head with no discussion too, and I don't have Aspergers.

Not sure what the best way is to handle this. The ponytail I ditch, but I don't always want to wear my glasses.
twins0506
by Holly on May. 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Yes. I always wear my hair in a pony tail because my boys eat my hair. Well when I wear it down they stare at me like "who are you?" the teachers say they do it to them too when they wear lipstick or wear their hair different.
kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Uhm... how about "mom" being like that.

when my husband shaved his head, I made him wear a hat for over a week until I adjusted to the shaved head - even during sex - (especially during sex actually) - because I needed time to adjust to the drastic change of going from beautiful wavy neck length hair, to shaving it. LOL

kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I read this after I wrote my reply.

Hi - I'm like that too. :P

Only - he had prepared me for almost a year that he was going to do it - and waited until I told him "okay, go ahead and do it"

and... I still made him wear a hat for a week straight and only take it off for short periods of time until I got used to it.

The morning I woke up next to him after he did it, I almost hit him because I thought there was a strange man in my bed wiht me and I forgot he shaved his head. ROFL

Quoting Coca.Cola:

I was 20 when my husband shaved his head. It pissed me off. I wanted nothing to do with him. It was the only time this happened to me. He felt so bad for not warning me. Just came out BALD. Jerk. I have Aspergers. Yeah it bugged me. I still can not watch him shave his head. It bothers me. 

ReachtotheStars
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Nick doesnt like changes at all
Coca.Cola
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I slept in my recliner after he did it. He laid on the sofa to be near me. I woke up and was just staring at him. He kept asking me about eggs and I wouldn't answer him. I hated what I saw. He just made me some and put it on a tray and turned on cartoons which made me feel better. Powerpuff Girls makes everything better I guess. 

Quoting kajira:

Only - he had prepared me for almost a year that he was going to do it - and waited until I told him "okay, go ahead and do it"

and... I still made him wear a hat for a week straight and only take it off for short periods of time until I got used to it.

The morning I woke up next to him after he did it, I almost hit him because I thought there was a strange man in my bed wiht me and I forgot he shaved his head. ROFL

Quoting Coca.Cola:

kajira
by Emma on May. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

hello kitty is my magic cure. :P

Quoting Coca.Cola:

I slept in my recliner after he did it. He laid on the sofa to be near me. I woke up and was just staring at him. He kept asking me about eggs and I wouldn't answer him. I hated what I saw. He just made me some and put it on a tray and turned on cartoons which made me feel better. Powerpuff Girls makes everything better I guess. 

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Coca.Cola:

ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Jonathan will pull out any hair clips I put in my hair.  They also don't like when I wear sunglasses, but they love all my jewlery.

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM
The one I don't understand is that he loves it when I wear a dress, but I rarely wear them or skirts, esp. In the winter. That's okay, but the other things are not. Maybe they are more me and the dress is just clothing?

Maybe it would help if there are times when I routinely take off the glasses. If we're playing or working outside they are off. Something like that, so it's more predictable?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN