Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New and caught between a rock and a hard place

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi Everyone, new to the group. Have twins age 10 both Aspie's. My son more social than my daugher. They were always out of district . Great School but now I am looking for a new placement. I live in Bergen County New Jersey. Any ideas. ps. they would never be able to go back in district. They are very sheltered and need to go from their small fish bowl into an aquarium and the district would be like throwing them in an ocean. (speaking metaphorically) . I was thinking of Barnstable but my district feels like it would not be a good placement. I need someplace quite with lots of structure. My kids withdraw whenever they are in a noisy crowded enviornment. Home schooling is out, I just couldnt take it. Any ideas welcomed... I could leave them where they are, they are safe and have been doing well, its just that I want to take them a notch up and alittle out of their comfort zone. I am pushing them out of a comfortable nest. I am scared...

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ROGUEM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Hello and welcome.  I have twins too.  My boys are 8 and have autism.  I also have a 12 year old with Aspergers.  

If the only reason you are moving them is to push them to stretch themselves, I don't know if I could do it.  They seem to be in a great school environment and not too many people find that for their children. I know from experience how bad it can be when the school environment is too much for your child.  If I were you I might would look for other areas to "push them"  like sports or social groups.  I would just be afraid the new school wouldn't work out and then I would have lost a great one and can't go back.  When ever my children are doing well, I am hesitant to change things up, but I am a cautious person in this area.  

I don't know the whole story so maybe there are other reasons you are doing this. And I can understand if you want them to reach their full potential.  If you feel they are stagnating and they could get more out of another school then I guess you have to go for it.  I would be scared too!

HUGS

Hilary799
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I tend to agree. My son is changing schools again this year, but its time. He'll be in the 7th grade and although he is in self contained they still promote him as if he was in a regular class. I think that's how it works in other areas? I say, unless there are other reasons for moving them, getting them involved in sports or scouts would be a better way to start. Good luck in whatever you choose to do

Quoting ROGUEM:

Hello and welcome.  I have twins too.  My boys are 8 and have autism.  I also have a 12 year old with Aspergers.  

If the only reason you are moving them is to push them to stretch themselves, I don't know if I could do it.  They seem to be in a great school environment and not too many people find that for their children. I know from experience how bad it can be when the school environment is too much for your child.  If I were you I might would look for other areas to "push them"  like sports or social groups.  I would just be afraid the new school wouldn't work out and then I would have lost a great one and can't go back.  When ever my children are doing well, I am hesitant to change things up, but I am a cautious person in this area.  

I don't know the whole story so maybe there are other reasons you are doing this. And I can understand if you want them to reach their full potential.  If you feel they are stagnating and they could get more out of another school then I guess you have to go for it.  I would be scared too!

HUGS

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on May. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)