Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hello

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:42 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hi, I am not new to cafemom, but I have taken a break from cm for a while. But my 2 year old was diagnosed with PDD on Monday. So, here I am back on CM in hopes to find support and advice nowhere we go from here.

So about myself. I am Rebecca. I have 4 girls,ages 8,5,2, and could come any time and I'd be very happy (I am 37 weeks). Like I saidmy 2 year old was diagnosed with PDD on Monday. I am still kind of in shock. At her 2 year check in Feb. her doctor said that she might be autistic and she needed to be screened. I was floored. I had no idea that there was even a possibility. She has some weirdnesses about her, has very inconsistent eye contact and rarely answers her name, but she also has vision issues and so we assmumed it was that causing her lack of eye contact. She is also cognitively delayed and has some sensory issues. She is in need of being re evaluated for speech because we found out that while she does communicate, her communication is rarely spontaneous, but scripted from memorizing and repeating commonly used phrases used by my family.

So this is us. I am looking forward to learn from you experienced moms and just having a place to go when we are having a bad day.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ROGUEM
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome!  My name is Michelle and I have 3 boys on the spectrum.  I know this must seem a little overwhelming.  I know when I was pregnant I was more emotional so I am sure this was not the most ideal time to be getting a dx.  My boys are older and have gone through years of therapy and are really doing well.  With this dx you will get her the help she needs. 

I look forward to getting to know you better.  This group has the most supportive and caring ladies.  We are like a family here and will be there for you.

RockinMama0608
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Welcome to the group!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Welcome to the group! My name is Wendy. I Have a 5 year old son AIden he has Autism.  Glad to meet you!

kajira
by Emma on May. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I just want to say - that you have a great pediatrician for catching that.
myfirstborn04
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Welcome, my name is maria. I am a mother of four boys. Wesley 8 has asd. Ian is 6 had social anxiety. David is 5 has social anxiety ocd traits and is being evaluated for aspergers. Jorge Is 21 months. So far he is slow on talking. This is a great group. Hope to hear more from you. :):):):)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph2884
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Welcome!
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting kajira:

I just want to say - that you have a great pediatrician for catching that.

We really like our pedi. My daughter has almost no eye contact with people outside our family, and inconsistent eye contact within it. And she has never really answered to her name. The first two visits our pedi noticed right away that she was really quiet, and stared at the floor just kind of going through the motions. She asked if this is how R always is. I said yes, usually, she's pretty quiet, but does talk around us. Then she asked about eye contact. Again, I said yes, she has eye contact with us most of the time. Those two appts. were sick visits. Then at her 2 year well baby. She spent a good 45 minutes trying to get my daughter to do the red flag things on the MCHAT that I filled out. R wouldn't look up off the floor. When the pedi asked about each of these things, I had a come back answer. She inisisted that R needed to be evaluated. My heart broke that day. But I am glad that we got her evaluated and now can get her help. 

by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thank you all for the welcome.

Leobaby2007
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hi! I'm Allison and I have a almost 5 year old son with PDD-NOS (autism as it will be known in the new DSM).

I suspected it with my son at about 12 months- and our pediatrician thought so between ages 2-3. Finally, I got him officially dxed at age 4, but had in him ST and OT all along, since he was 15/18 months. I just knew it deep down inside, but wasn't ready to fully admit it until last year. I kept thinking he would "catch up."

I'm glad, like you, I had a pediatrician to see what I was seeing and not blow me off. Our first pediatrician, had she been paying attention, would have noticed at 9 months when my son was not pointing, and had sketchy eye contact, but she was too busy trying to get out of the office by noon so she could see her young children. I actually really resent her for not picking up on it sooner. So, we found a ped who had teenage children lol and therefore is in the office A LOT.

4 girls? Oh wow. I would have liked one of each, but we're done now with just the one boy. Best wishes on your upcoming birth and new bundle of joy! :-)

And, welcome!!!

by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Hi! I'm Allison and I have a almost 5 year old son with PDD-NOS (autism as it will be known in the new DSM).

I suspected it with my son at about 12 months- and our pediatrician thought so between ages 2-3. Finally, I got him officially dxed at age 4, but had in him ST and OT all along, since he was 15/18 months. I just knew it deep down inside, but wasn't ready to fully admit it until last year. I kept thinking he would "catch up."

I'm glad, like you, I had a pediatrician to see what I was seeing and not blow me off. Our first pediatrician, had she been paying attention, would have noticed at 9 months when my son was not pointing, and had sketchy eye contact, but she was too busy trying to get out of the office by noon so she could see her young children. I actually really resent her for not picking up on it sooner. So, we found a ped who had teenage children lol and therefore is in the office A LOT.

4 girls? Oh wow. I would have liked one of each, but we're done now with just the one boy. Best wishes on your upcoming birth and new bundle of joy! :-)

And, welcome!!!

Thank you. My daughter's neurologist said something about the possibility of autsim at 9 months. She wasn't answering to her name, babbling, or pointing. We had her hearing checked, and it was fine. He said that if she wasn't doing those things by 12 months we'd have to have her evaluated for autism. When she turned 1 she was not doing those things, but she was talking/repeating small phrases after them being said first. We had no idea this was not "normal" becuase we taught my now 5 year old how to talk through speech therapy by making her say stuff after us. So we just just thought that is how she was going to learn. We were living in Japan at the time of her birth and all this that was going on. About 3 weeks after she turned 1 the big 9.0 earthquake hit. We evacuated and came back when she was 14 months. While we were on evacuation, I tried to get her evaluated by EI in my home town because she was having some major difficulty in walking. The pedi there thought she had hip dysplasia, but found out she didn't. They were able to get her evaluated by a PT and an OT and both said she was good in those areas, and the difficulties she was displaying with her walking, would be fixed once she had eye surgery to fix the alignment in her eyes (She has misaigned eyes, lazy eye, and is far sighted. She's been in glasses since 5 months old). At 16 months we came back to HI to see her neurologist and opthamologist. The neuro said that she seemed to be doing better, and that as long as she was still progressing on her milestones and didn't regress or start having seizures again, she'd be ok. She at that same point had eye surgery. Fast forward to September 11 (this all happened last year), we moved to HI and started seeing her new pedi. We blamed her lack of eye contact on her vision. Her lack of answering to her name on stubbornness. We thought her speech was fine. We thought her lack of interest in toys was due to her sisters not really letting her play, we thought she was on track cognitively. We found out we were dead wrong. We never thought she was autistic in any way. We thought that her quirks were just her thing. We now see how wrong we were, and while it is confusing because at times she does seem normal...we take a step back and look, that yes, she seems like a normal 1 year old, not a normal 2 year old. So...yeah. It has been a rough 2 years, and hopefully, now that we at least have one question answered, the rest of it will start falling into place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN