Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
My oldest (who has Aspergers) lost his first molar Wednesday morning. During supper Wednesday evening he kept putting wedges of carrots in the empty spaces in his mouth.....it wasn't until after dinner, when he was getting ready for bed, that he complained of the blood in his mouth...he had apparently NOT been putting the carrots in the right spot, instead wedging them in front of his incisor, so now his incisor is tilted at a bizzare angle, hanging over the next space (where the molar was). It bled pretty good.

So today we will be going to the dentist today...to see if he has loosened his adult tooth, or else he might have lost his baby teeth out of order? (fingers crossed?)..... I asked him if it had been painful and he said it was...so IDK why he kept doing it...poor baby...

I just don't know how to help him understand such things. This is the 2nd time he has done it. He had a slightly wiggly tooth several months ago, when flossing he hooked the floss under a corner and ripped the tooth out!
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-13):
thatkidsmomkms
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My dd8 has pulled teeth that weren't loose, picks scabs, bangs her head after she has a seizure, bites herself to the point of drawing blood...

KickButtMama
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Quoting ROGUEM:

It is like they can't help themselves.   A scab....rip!   A wiggley tooth....yank!  A hang nail....pull! 

They can't take it being there....looking at it......feeling it!  It has to be gone for them to relax.

This is how my oldest son explained it to me when I asked why he does this even though it will really hurt

I completely agree! Plus my son doesn't seem to feel discomfort in thr same manner as i. He has something that feels 'weird' and had to poke and prod it to get that weird sensation over and over. It just falls back to the OCD tendancies. We had to see a different dentist than our usual and he had such a confused look in his face. It was really beyond his comprehension that a child might be able to rip out their own teeth.

Ironically my son is petrified of having his teeth pulled out! Apparently he doesn't see what he does as pulling teeth. And my DH jokes everytime one of the kids says they have a loose tooth, he runs to get his pliers (just as a joke, he'd never really do that)....but it freaks DS out! Of course at the dentist yesterday the dr turns to me and says, "you want me to pull the tooth?" of course this made DS completely go pale and threw him into a complete anxiety attack. I think he had visions of DH with those damn pliers....even after i tried to explain that it wouldn't hurt if the dentist pulled the tooth, and he'd be able to chew because the tooth wouldn't be at such an awkward angle. No go..
princessputter
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Quoting ROGUEM:

It is like they can't help themselves.   A scab....rip!   A wiggley tooth....yank!  A hang nail....pull! 

They can't take it being there....looking at it......feeling it!  It has to be gone for them to relax.

This is how my oldest son explained it to me when I asked why he does this even though it will really hurt

my son is this exact way... he once pulled two baby teeth in a 12 hour span....they were right next to each other

he picks his nails too..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)