Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

in desperate need of help with my austistic son on how to get 24 hour protective service or other services?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

hello im looking to talk to someone who has experience applying for 24 hour protective service though IHSS im new to the IHSS I'm a single mom with a 7 1/2 year old son whose autistic. Im working full time at the moment but i feel a little trouble at work because recently i had to go home early for my son because i couldnt afford to pay for afterschool program at the school bcuz it cost $50/wk my son is in need of 24 hr supervision my son is non verbal no regards to his safety (running through traffic,opening gas stove lighting anything he could find,climbing cabinets, hitting his head and body on the wall, wandering around the house most times would open the door and run outside. He doesnt respond to his name , doesnt understand stop, no (i used when he runs) knows and like to get knife on the kitchen cabinet and slicing any food he finds. on the shower room likes to play with shaving cream and shaver. Hate to admit but hes a handful i cant leave him for more than 5 minutes and need to constantly watch him at night because he wanders around at night. Being a single parent its really hard and i cant afford to loose my job because honestly we cant survive with his SSI which is $535/month only not even enough to pay for rent. Please help if anyone with experience in regards to applying for 24 hr through IHSS i need guidance....

by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on May. 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.  I hope you're able to find the services that you (and your son) need.

badgermom2012
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I"m not familiar with IHSS.  What is that?  I wasn't aware there was any 24 hr service.  I haven't come across anyone that has this.  HOpefully someone else can help you.  

lilmama00001
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

i hope so too its really hard i dont know what to do :(

lilmama00001
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

IHSS is In Home Support Service / 24 hour protective supervision is when u watch your child who has severe mental impairments and intervening where necessary so they dont hurt themselves living at home.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM

welcome to the group! BUMP! Hope someone can help you.

greenskittlessp
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Are you in California? I am and my son recieves IHSS. We dont get the max hours but we get a fair share. What type of info would you like? Feel free to pm if you would like

Karatemomof4333
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM
How does ihss work??
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on May. 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM
bump ive never hears of IHSS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

what is IHSS??

Alma4Mom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)