Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- sorta - does this make anyone else uncomfortable?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 19 Replies

i work retail and we wear name tags. 

today was the first time in a long time this has happened but it reminded me how uncomfortable it makes me.

I asked a woman if she wanted to apply for the store card - its part of our script we have to say to everyone. And she says "really Kate, it's a good deal but no thanks".

She then proceeded to use my name the entire two or so minutes we were interacting. I don't know what it is but her continuously using my name like that is just super uncomfortable for me. I guess it's because people usually use our names as a reference if we had gone to look for something or had helped them. 

Does this make anyone else feel uncomfortable? Or would it? In any capacity not just in a retail setting per say. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM

i don't know. I've never had a normal job - so i can't say how i'd feel in that situation.

myfirstborn04
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Oh yeah that would bug me. I never realy liked my name.synergy if my name wad nice like yours it wouldn't bug me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM

i think it was because she just kept repeating it...i dont mind my name per say but to hear it over and over in a short time from someone i dont know...ya...uncomfortable lol

Quoting myfirstborn04:

Oh yeah that would bug me. I never realy liked my name.synergy if my name wad nice like yours it wouldn't bug me.

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

The guy at my bank does it and it creeped me out at first.  Now he's done it so long I would probably be offended if he didn't lol

newmommy430
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM
When people did that I always assumed they were "secret shoppers" and they were trying to remember my name for when they filled out their paperwork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM

ya she may have been but she was just off i dunno. most secret shoppers take you up on the applying at least so they know you can do the process. so i dunno...maybe..LOL

Quoting newmommy430:

When people did that I always assumed they were "secret shoppers" and they were trying to remember my name for when they filled out their paperwork.

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I am weird about names. I always feel a little uncomfortable when someone verbally uses my name. Especially if we are mere acquaintances.  I could not tell you why.

mallowcup17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

im the same way...

Quoting smarieljlee:

I am weird about names. I always feel a little uncomfortable when someone verbally uses my name. Especially if we are mere acquaintances.  I could not tell you why.

momtoscott
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Oh, I hate it very much.  It's always a ploy of some kind.  People are told to do this if they are trying to remember someone's name (but obviously she doesn't have to do that in your transaction, plus you're wearing the tag) or to influence them to buy something or join a religion, etc.  She may be in a salesperson training course and practicing.  There's a lot of crap out there about the benefits of using people's names.

I get creeped out when a sales clerk hands me back my credit card and says "thank you, ms. pace," even though I know that's a policy.  Or when I politely say no, I don't want to apply for a store card and the person at the register keeps asking and asking and asking... Happens at Kohl's a lot.  Once is okay in my opinion, but more than once is over the line!

mallowcup17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

o i hate that at Kohls too! i only ever ask once and thats all we are supposed to and then she started hounding me so it was just weird. like i get it if you dont want to apply but why make a big deal about it? you know? 

Quoting momtoscott:

Oh, I hate it very much.  It's always a ploy of some kind.  People are told to do this if they are trying to remember someone's name (but obviously she doesn't have to do that in your transaction, plus you're wearing the tag) or to influence them to buy something or join a religion, etc.  She may be in a salesperson training course and practicing.  There's a lot of crap out there about the benefits of using people's names.

I get creeped out when a sales clerk hands me back my credit card and says "thank you, ms. pace," even though I know that's a policy.  Or when I politely say no, I don't want to apply for a store card and the person at the register keeps asking and asking and asking... Happens at Kohl's a lot.  Once is okay in my opinion, but more than once is over the line!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)