Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

weighted vest/blankets experiences

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 20 Replies

I just wanted to know if any of you ladies use the vest or blankets for your kids, when is the right time to use it, did you see a difference in your childs behavior etc

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by Holly on May. 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM
My son uses the vest in school. I guess it works. She says they use it when he starts to get very fidgety and won't stay in his seat. I never followed up on it asking how it is but I believe it does work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyOsgood
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

For Z the vest helps calm her. She is very anxious and she will ask for the vest when she feels unsure about anything. We use it at the doctor's office or appointments when she needs a little help calming her system.

For L the vest gives her a sense of space. She uses it to help sit still and focus on activities. Also at the dinner table so she can focus on using her hands and not on keeping herself sitting up.

We have a lap pad we let Z use in bed or in the car if she needs it.

I love the weighted vest and lap pad. I see a difference when mine wear theirs but every child is different and will respond differently. Z hated weight at first and now she enjoys it.

badgermom2012
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I asked 2 of my son's therapists about weighted vests and they both said they don't recommend them and that most kids don't like them or the parent forgets about it and leaves it on the kid too long.  

isotoner
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My 10 yo son uses a weighted blanket at night.  I don't really see a difference, but when I don't have it on his bed because I washed it and it's not dry yet, he will ask for it.  He says it helps him get to sleep.  If he says it, then it's true.  He doesn't use a vest in school, but I think he uses a weighted backpack to help calm him. 

shell3m
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I don't have one in my house but Dean has one in his class at school.  It really does help.  At home I just use my body to calm him down I get behind him and squeeze his top with my arms and bend my legs just a bit so my knees can squeeze his hips.  :)

by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM

We use a tight fitting rash guard right now, and it does help. If we pair the rash gaurd with a back pack with weight in it, it helps even more. I'm hoping that once her insurance kicks in, we can get her a vest. 

Iksa
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Thanks. I've been doing some research about it and wanted opinions. I'm not sure if I would look into to get it for my son but, I was reading about how it can help some kids with keeping them calm and helping with focusing issues without meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on May. 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I know this is slightly off topic, but I got told by someone that "hugging" your autistic kid who asked to be squished when it makes them feel better and calm down was akin to childabuse because it wasn't normal that a kid would ask for it.)

blah.

kajira
by Emma on May. 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM

this is why I prefer to use squishing therapy with my pets. LOL it works awesome.

Quoting badgermom2012:

I asked 2 of my son's therapists about weighted vests and they both said they don't recommend them and that most kids don't like them or the parent forgets about it and leaves it on the kid too long.  

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM
I made my son a weighted blanket and it has helped him a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)