Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Dentist time?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, I was wondering how will a visit to the dentist with my child go. Does anyone have any experiences to share? My sons just turning 3 this month and Im not sure when your suppose to take them to the dentist. But I cant imagine how that will go. Im dreading the day. I really dont think hed be able to handle it. So how do they do it with our children? Can anyone give me some insight on the experience and what age their suppose to have their first visit. Thanks. confused

by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
justfiveofus
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I was REALLY dreading it as well because my son just hates anything on his teeth and often times he's very sensitive to touches.  So I talked to him about it for days in advance, every day we'd talk about it.  When we got there, I talked to the hygenist and told him that he's really sensitive to touch and all of the noises and whatnot.  She was really good with him, showed him what everything did on his hand first and he just really liked her.  It went really well and I was shocked because even still at home a lot of days I have to hold him down to brush his teeth.  I think we went around 3 yrs for his first time. 

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

If you can, see a ped. dentist. Bells did all right and she has had a lot of work done.

twins0506
by Holly on May. 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I was nervous too but it went pretty well. I sat in the chair and put the boys on my lap. I couldn't really give them advance notice because they wouldn't remember but when the dentist came in I told them she was going to brush their teeth. I also told the dentist they had autism so she was very patient with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I started taking my son when he was about 2 (when he had enough teeth to see a dentist).  He was kind of young and wouldn't let the dentist look inside of his mouth. It has been about a year since he has gone last but he has an appointment in June.  I am hoping that since he is a little older, the experience will be better for him.  The new dentist that I am taking him too was recommended to me because of her patience and understanding of special needs kids.  The last one didn't have much experience with special needs kids (which can make a huge difference).

I found this information about when to take your child:

When to go. Most experts recommend that you take your child to his first dentist appointment within about six months of his first tooth’s arrival, or by the time he turns one. If, however, your toddler’s teeth are obviously discolored — you’ll probably want to take him to the dentist sooner rather than later. (more info at this link)

jadelily
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

When my dd was little the dentist was a nightmare. She once both peed and vomited on the dentist, he was holding her in his lap to try and get her to be a little more calm. We ended up having to have a cavity and sealants done under light anethesia.

But sometime around 10, she started actually liking going to the dentist. Why? No clue, lol.

But honestly, my 8 y/o NT dd is far worse at the dentist. She just freaks out even mentioning we are going, she always vomits having her teeth cleaned. They couldn't even get a spacer back in she was puking so much, WITH nitrous oxide she won't even calm down!

KickButtMama
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I suggest taking him to the dentists for a tour and introductions before his first cleaning. We also did a little lesson on teeth and exactly what sensory stuff he could expect. I brought sunglesses (to block that little light) and ear plugs. But i also had a frank conversation with the hygenist about Aspergers. Due to this convo she was great at explaining every step to him and offering breaks when he needed them.

The 1st checkup is usually between age 3-4. Oh and i also brought him with me for my cleaning before his own. It seemed to really help that there were no unexpected surprises.
momtoscott
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

It does help to have a pediatric dentist.  Most kids are scared at first, and the lights and smells of the dentist's office don't help.  Neither does the bad taste/texture of the stuff they clean your teeth with.  Lots of sensory issues going on!  You should also be in the room, if the dentist allows it.  At first it may be a struggle to even get your child to sit in the chair, but usually it does get better. 

DS is 14, and at his first few visits it was almost impossible for the dentist to complete an examination, but he did improve a lot.  At first I had to hold him on my lap or sit and hold his hand.  But last week he had a cleaning and two cavities filled, including a shot of novocaine, and he got through all of it like a champ, while I sat in the waiting room. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN