Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How can we protect our children from abusive bus matrons? teachers? aides?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am terrified for our children. Those who are non verbal I fear for even more because they won't be able to tell us what happened at school. What do you think we can do as parents? I think cameras on all buses and in all classrooms is a start. Monthly sensitivity training of all adults coming in contact with special needs children is also another suggestion. Makes me sick whenever I read a news story of one of our children being bullied be it from a peer or even worse an adult. What do you think?

Follow me on twitter: @AutisticSeas

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Aspiemom0203
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I think even if they verbal they don't always tell. I don't know if DS understood it wasn't ok because it was a teacher or was embarrassed. I'm afraid to send him back to public school because he may not tell. Hurts my heart:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

open communication between teachers and parents is a must to help protect our kids, random drop ins to pick up your child, (not all the time, once in a while) making sure his mood is not too disturbed that it could be caused by something at school, my sons new school he'll be starting July 2nd, they do have cameras in the classrooms and all rooms where the children go. 

justfiveofus
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM

My ds recently had an issue with other kids at school and didn't tell anyone.  It took his teacher and us seeing a behavior difference to realize that something had happened.  He finally told me bits and pieces but I had to ask and he'd just say yes or no. 

I think that the poster that mentioned dropping in or maybe even volunteering at the school. 

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

I think even if they verbal they don't always tell. I don't know if DS understood it wasn't ok because it was a teacher or was embarrassed. I'm afraid to send him back to public school because he may not tell. Hurts my heart:(

TristansMom440
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I was talking to Tristan's pre-k teacher about this last week.  I told her I was so freaked out about him going to kindergarten where I don't know the staff/teachers.  I don't worry where he is now, they are so sweet.  She made a comment about his echolalia and said he'd just come home & repeat everything.  She's right, cause he does, LOL....but what about the ones that don't??!  Makes me sad...

Tigress22304
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Let me find out someone's abusing my daughter or any of her classmates-bishes will go down swinging!!

My daughter's school bus is the small bus-There's the driver and 1 aid per 2 kids so 10 aides and 20 kids-there are mirrors and the school district that owns these buses? they're all equipped with cameras.

Everytime my daughter gets a paper cut-bruised knee or a sniffle-there are 2 nurses that both write a note home and what they did to clean her up if necessary.

When DD8 got bit by her classmate=they immediately called me-and told me exactly what happened-they gave her tylenol and ice packs.

At any time if i were to go to her school-they would let me go to her classroom. THEY ENCOURAGE THIS. Each classroom has an observation room-parents/family can observe without the teachers knowing.
Each classroom has cameras-1 teacher and up to 5 aides-no more then 10 kids per classroom.

The school my daughter attends is one of 5 so all 5 special needs schools have this type of security. believe me nobody can even cough on my kids without me knowing.

The teachers at her school are trained to watch out for signs of abuse-each teacher and aide has to have a complete background check and several interviews. They are required to attend classes on stress management and anger management because the kids in her school are low functioning to high functioning autistic/Asbergers students.

momtoscott
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I believe as a parent you are allowed to go to your child's class and observe.  It's a difficult problem.  I wouldn't mind cameras in the classrooom, but that still doesn't cover areas where bullying frequently happens, like bathrooms.   I don't know that frequency sensitivity training would help, because I believe bullying doesn't come from ignorance, it comes from mean/weak people.  We need courage training, so that the people who witness bullying don't keep silent or turn their heads. 

I wish there was a better solution, because with schools' budgets stretched, more SN kids are being put into mainstream classrooms, where I think it's more likely for them to be bullied, abused, or just as bad, passed along to the next grade without learning. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)